No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Elections to go ahead in Kufra and Derna despite ongoing violence

byCallum Paton
February 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Seraj Essul and Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 19 February 2014: 

Despite security challenges, elections are to go . . .[restrict]ahead in the Cyrenaica towns of Kufra and Derna where inhabitants have been plagued by some of the worst violence in the country since the revolution.

Adam Taleb Zeidan, a member of Kufra Local Council, told the Libya Herald elections would be held despite mortar attacks that had killed two and injured four in the town today. He said regardless of security problems the people of Kufra would vote tomorrow to “show their support of the legitimate state”.

Kufra has been subject to ongoing clashes between Arab Zwai tribesmen and the town’s Tebu ethnic minority for months. The National Tebu Assembly has boycotted the elections saying they will not been involved in the drafting of a constitution that does not represent them. However the town’s Arab majority are expected to take part.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

HNEC holds conference on Libyans’ reluctance to participate in elections

Zeidan said that Kufra Local Council had met with elders from the area’s Tebu community two days ago to discuss the elections and claimed the Tebus were split over whether or not they would participate.

Nevertheless, Zeidan said tomorrow’s elections were crucial to ensuring the continuation of democracy and that Libya did not fall prey to armed groups or a military coup.

Derna Local Council told this paper just over one week ago that elections to the 60-member Committee might not be possible in the town because of the security vacuum that had allowed armed groups to assassinate and intimidate officials with impunity.

Today, a source close to the council who did not wish to be identified said elections would now go ahead but only because of overwhelming popular demand. He said no army or police had been brought into Derna to secure the its 27 polling stations but locals had volunteered to protect voters.

The source said there was no way of knowing what would happen tomorrow but if a direct threat or attack was made against one polling station, the rest would remain open. He added there had been almost no publicity for the election in Derna and as such locals had little information about the twelve candidates standing for the Committee.

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: 60-member CommitteeDernaelectionsKufraLibyaviolence

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Election fever for Libyans in America

Election fever for Libyans in America

UNSMIL congratulates Libyans on day of elections, urges democracy not violence

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.