Tripoli, 15 January 2014:
An employee of the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL) who was electrocuted earlier this month in Sebha . . .[restrict]has died in Tunisia.
Bilal Mohammed Othman was one of two employees injured when the wrong circuits were turned off and the men started to work on high voltage equipment that was still live. Both were airlifted to hospitals outside Libya.
The incident provoked strikes by GECOL employees demanding that managers be removed from their posts and that unsafe working practices be stopped. They also demanded better healthcare and insurance.
GECOL has released a statement offering condolences to Othman’s family, friends and colleagues. [/restrict]