No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli blackouts to continue until the end of the month

byCallum Paton
December 13, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli blackouts to continue until the end of the month

South Tripoli power station

By Libya Herald Staff.

South Tripoli power station
South Tripoli power station

Tripoli, 12 December 2013:

A spokesman for the state power company GECOL has said that rolling blackouts affecting Tripoli . . .[restrict]will cease by the end of the month.

Lofti Ghuam, a spokesman for GECOL, told the Libya Herald today that power outages which have left most areas of Tripoli without power, some for up to 12 hours a day, should end as maintenance and the installation of extra generating capacity to the power grid alleviates “undue stress” on the system.

There had been hopes at the beginning of the week that the power cuts would end as gas started to flow again from the Wafa field to the Ruwais power station near Nalut following the lifting of Amazigh blockades in the Jebel Nafusa. But, despite earlier claims by the Electricity Minister, Ali Muhairiq, suggesting that the cuts were the fault of Amazigh and Tebu protestors blockading the power stations, nothing changed.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

Ghaum confirmed that the Ruwais power station now had a plentiful supply of gas with diesel supplies in reserve. Al-Hadi Busin, the manager for the power station, said that Ruwais was now producing 550 – 600 MW of electricity with four of its six turbines working at near full capacity, the other two being under maintenance.

Maintenance intended to finally end the cuts and the installation of extra generators should be complete over the next week, this newspaper was told. Five power stations are to have their capacity bolstered. Zawia, South Tripoli, Khoms, North Benghazi and Zueitina power stations, all of which feed into the national grid and help supply Tripoli, are to have new generators installed.

Busin claimed that the new installations had been delayed by the withdrawal of foreign energy companies from the country. Engineers meant to help set them up have been absent due to ongoing security concerns.

It has been confirmed that Zliten, Misrata, Tajoura and Sirte have not been affected by the power cuts.

One of the ironies of the cuts is that Tawergha also remains unaffected. It is said that streets lights continue to light the way at night despite the lack of any inhabitants.

With input from Callum Paton, Aimen Eljali and Taziz Hasairi [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazielectricityfeaturedGECOLKhomsLibyapower cutsTripoliZawia

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Petrol crisis spreads

Petrol crisis spreads

Congressman kidnapped in spiralling tit-for-tat action between Kikla and Warshefana

Congressman kidnapped in spiralling tit-for-tat action between Kikla and Warshefana

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.