No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sarir power station halted again

bySami Zaptia
January 1, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Sarir power station halted again

(Photo: GECOL)

By Libya Herald staff.

The Sarir power station has stopped electricity production again (Photo: GECOL).
The Sarir power station has stopped electricity production again (Photo: GECOL).

Tripoli, 22 December 2013:

Following  yesterday’s brief announcement by the General Electricity Company of Libya’s (GECOL) Station Control Engineer . . .[restrict]Mohammed Almujbary that  Sarir power station was working at its full capacity of 450 MW, GECOL announced today that the power station had once more stopped production.

It had shut down because of security concerns, the station’s executive manager, Hashim Al-Maliki, told the Libya Herald.  “We shut down the generators at ten this morning”.

Two days ago, he said, army units guarding the power station as well as the Sarir and Messla oil fields had been had had to repel gunmen who  attacked the Al-Sarir farm project 40 kilometres east of the station. Although five of the attackers had been killed and one caught and the rest had fled to Jakharra and Tazerbu, the sound of heavy artillery firing had panicked  employees, Al-Maliki said.

RELATED POSTS

PowerElec 2025 will be held from 8-11 December at Tripoli International Fairgrounds

Al-Sarir Oil Operations drills well B54 in Sarah field with capacity of 2,400 barrels per day ‎

He added said that because all the power stations in Libya were connected in the national electricity grid, it was highly probable that the stoppage would mean power cuts across the country unless the Zueitina station north of Ajdabiya upped its production.

Earlier today, a statement by GECOL confirmed that workers at the power station had stop working to because of security concerns resulting from the fighting and that output at the station was now down to zero.

As a result, the statement continued, GECOL expected that there wuld be power cuts again across the whole of Libya.

The Sarir power station had been embroiled in the various political, economic and social demands of the local Tebu community. It was only on 11 December that the road blockade preventing trucked fuel supplies to the power station by Tebu protestors had been ended.

This latest stoppage was as a result of what is believed to be Zwai militiamen attacking those regular army units in the region which happen to be made up of Tebus.

With input by Tazeez Hasairi and Jamal Adel. [/restrict]

Tags: electricityGECOLsarirTebuZwaiZway

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

LCOG to take lead in solving some of Libya's problems

Last day of Tripoli’s malouf festival tomorrow

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.