No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hopes of an end to Tripoli power cuts as gas starts flowing to Ruwais power station.

byMichel Cousins
December 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hopes of an end to Tripoli power cuts as gas starts flowing to Ruwais power station.

By Aimen Eljali and Ahmed Elumami.

Pylons

Tripoli, 8 December 2013:

There are . . .[restrict]hopes in Tripoli this evening that the continuing power outages in the capital will be over within the next 48 hours as a result of gas starting to flow again today from the Wafa field to the Ruwais power station near Nalut in the Jebel Nafusa.

Power generation in the country has been slashed to a record low in the past fortnight because of blockades on fuel supplies to power stations by Amazighs and Tebus in pursuit of political demands. Ten days ago, Electricity Minister Ali Muhairiq said it was just 4,600 megawatts (MW). Four days ago, however, the Amazigh announced an end to their action.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Mellitah Oil and Gas preparing to drill eight offshore gas wells to produce 160 million cubic feet per day of natural gas

Gas started to arrive today at the power station, control room supervisor Othman Lambash told the Libya Herald, but at half the pressure needed to power the turbines. Lambash said that urgent work was being carried out at the Wafa field to increase the pressure and that it was hoped that supplies would be flowing again normally within 24 to 48 hours.

He explained that the plant has been operating just one of its five turbines since the blockade began. With the gas-powered station capable, when necessary, to run on oil, the single turbine has been powered by diesel. But the fuel consumption had been voracious, he said. Fifty trucks a day had been supplying 60,000 tonnes of diesel. Normally with 35,000 cubic metres of gas a day, each turbine could produce 150 MW of electricity, 750MW in all. Fuelled by diesel, the sole working one was producing just 125 MW.

Power outages have continued in the capital continued today to hit homes, shops and businesses alike, exacerbating public frustration with the government and Congress.

The worst hit areas have been Janzour in the far west of the city and Arrada (near Suq Al Juma) in the east. Residents of both report having had cuts totalling up to 12 hours a day. In Abu Sleem it has been as much as ten hours and in places such as Ghut Shaal, Zanata and Bab Ben Ghashir, outages totalling between four to six hours are reported. In the centre of Tripoli, they have been far less.

Power cuts in the east of the country are likely to continue, however.  The Sarir power station is still closed as a result of Tebu protestors blockading fuel supplies. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredgasLibyaRuwaisTripoliWafa gas field

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Bureaucracy hampers clearance of half-sunk Navy warships

Bureaucracy hampers clearance of half-sunk Navy warships

Confusion over appointment of Derna military supremo

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.