No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

EU Air Safety officials losing patience with Libya

byNigel Ash
December 15, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
EU Air Safety officials losing patience with Libya

By Libya Herald staff.

Libyan Airlines received Wednesday the second of its Airbus A330-200 in as many months (Photo: Sami Zaptia).
Libya carriers still banned from EU airspace (Photo: Sami Zaptia).

Tripoli, 15 December 2013:

The EU Air Safety Committee appears to be losing patience with the Libyan Civil Aviation . . .[restrict]Authority (LYCAA) which has imposed a voluntary ban on Libyan carriers flying to the EU while it reorganises its local certification processes.

Sources suggest that the continued failure of the LYCAA to meet international requirements could result in an outright ban by the EU itself.  The Libya Herald has also been told that it could take at least three years for the LYCCA to set its house in order.

The key issue, said the EU committee, is for Libya to prove it has completed work to reform its civil aviation safety system and in particular ensure “that the safety oversight of all air carriers certified in Libya is in compliance with international safety standards”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It is clear from the documents just published by the EU Safety Committee that it has been pushing Libya to make progress. On 7 October, it asked for an update on the re-certification of Libyan carriers. A month later representatives from the LYCAA, as well as Libyan Airlines and Afriqiyah Airways arrived in Brussels. According to the EU committee, the Libyan team said “that in its view they had now completed the five-stage re-certification process for Libyan Airlines, and that this airline should be allowed to operate within the Union. Documentation of the activities undertaken by the LYCAA in the re-certification process was handed to the Commission at the meeting”.

This newspaper understands that the documentation that Libya provided was considered to be generally inadequate. Officially however, the EU has since noted: “The documents submitted supporting the re-certification of Libyan Airlines as presented to the Committee could not be sufficiently evaluated in time for the meeting of the Committee”.

It went on to assert that in its view, it appeared that the number of LYCAA inspectors was insufficient for the work that the body had to do.

Perhaps just as seriously, the EU said that commercial ambulance flights made by Libyan operators had not been sufficiently restricted within EU airspace. This, it said, was in contravention of the voluntary ban that the LYCAA had agreed to impose. The problem was compounded by the fact that some of these ambulance flights to the EU had been subject to “ramp inspections” on arrival “and on a number of occasions significant deficiencies were found”.

The EU warned that from now on, before the LYCAA considers authorising Libyan carriers to fly to the EU, it should demonstrate to the EU Safety Committee’s satisfaction, “that the recertification process has been effectively completed and that there is sustainable continued oversight in accordance with ICAO [International Civil Aviation Organisation] standards.

“Should this not be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Commission and the Air Safety Committee, the Commission would be obliged to take immediate measures to prevent air carriers from operating within the Union”. In other words, the EU would impose a ban.

In July, the Director General  of the LYCAA, Captain Nasereddin Shaebelain, told the Libya Herald that the main challenge had been the re-certification of Libyan pilots. This has been taking longer than expected.  At the time, Shaebelain said he hoped the process would be completed by the end of the year but added that the LYCAA was keen to take its time and ensure that all the correct standards were met. [/restrict]

Tags: ambulance flightsEU Air Safety CommitteeLibyaLYCAAvoluntary ban

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

GECOL engineers to strike after gunmen kidnap and beat colleagues

Azziziya Congressman Zanouti freed, but Kikla council members still held

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.