No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tawergha claims of Germany migration seen as threat

byMichel Cousins
June 21, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff:

Tripoli, 23 November 2013:

Doubt is being cast on claims that 30 Tawerghans have flown to Germany with the . . .[restrict]intention of settling there.

The German embassy says that it has no information about any Tawerghan family having sought asylum in the country. Additionally, any applications for Schengen visas from an entire family would set alarm bells ringing, a European diplomat from the Schemgen area told the Libya Herald.

Applications for asylum in Germany, as in other European state, cannot be made in Libya. They have to be made in the stat itself.

RELATED POSTS

NOC organises workshop with Germany’s GTG to develop renewable energy projects in oil fields

REAoL and partners conduct field visit to 1 MW Tawergha solar project site

According to a member of the Tawergha Social Network Committee, Saad Saleh, some dozen Tawerghan families had already gone to Germany with the aim of subsequently obtaining German citizenship. They had been helped to get to Germany, he claimed, by human rights organisations.

He did not name them.

He said that they had gone because of their despair at being unable to return home and having to live as refugees in camps across the country as well as being discriminated against, especially when trying to find a job, and being subjected to attacks.

A Tawerghan man was killed and three others were injured in the Fellah refugee camp in Tripoli a week ago by gunmen.

Earlier this year, Human Rights Watch called on the Libyan government to provide protection for the four major Tawerghan camps in Tripoli. In June, it said the continued forced displacement of the Tawerghans was a crime against humanity.

Some 40,000 Tawerghans fled their hometown in August 2011 when the town was attacked by Misratan forces in revenge for having supported the attacks on Misrata during the revolution. It is now a ghost town.

Last June, the Tawerghans had decided unilaterally to return to it, sparking a crisis when some Misratans said they would oppose it by force if necessary. Following appeals by the government, elders and the Grand Mufti, the Tawerghans cancelled plans at the last minute. There has been little progress since then to try and resolve other than offers to build a few houses for some displaced Tawerghans elsewhere, although Tawergha Local Council Leader Abdulrahman Shikshak is reported saying that his council had held a number of meetings with the authorities but that recent events in Tripoli had stopped any further movement.

Last month, the Tawerghans said that as a result of the inaction they were joining the Amazigh community in boycotting the elections for the Constitutional Committee.

European diplomats say they think the claim about Tawerghans going to Germany is a threat rather than a reality, in an attempt to pressurise the government.

With contributions from Ashraf Abdul-Wahab and Houda Mzioudet.  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTawergha

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Five injured in protests in Abu Sleem against SSC brigade

Five injured in protests in Abu Sleem against SSC brigade

GreenStream pipeline gas-flows to Italy picking up

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.