No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Breaking news: fighting in Tripoli tonight

bythomwestcott
November 8, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Aimen Eljali, Tom Westcott and Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Tripoli, 7 November 2013:

Heavy clashes broke out this evening in east Tripoli following unconfirmed reports that . . .[restrict]Nuri Friwan, the commander of the Misrata Nosoor Battalion injured in an incident at a Tripoli checkpoint on Tuesday, had died earlier today.

The clashes, involving heavy machine guns and RPGs, started around 9.45 pm at the checkpoint by the planetarium near Shara Al-Shatt, where Friwan was wounded, but are said to have quickly spread to Suq Al-Juma and Nufleen. There are also reports of fighting in Ben Ashour. Ambulances have been seen rushing to the Shara Al-Shatt area. By 11 pm, gunfire was also heard in the centre of town, in Algeria Square and streets nearby.  “There are snipers firing. It’s like the revolution all over again,” a downtown resident told the Libya Herald by phone.

Heavy weapons, including anti-aircraft guns, could be clearly identified in the Zawiyat Dahmani district of the capital, a neighbourhood resident told this paper. Another said he thought the fighting included from anything between 50 to 200 men but it was impossible to determine.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

A local resident in the neighbouring Busetta area said that anti-aircraft guns appeared to be being fired directly at buildings.

There have been reports on social media networks of people abandoning their cars in the middle to try and get to a place of safety.

The head of Tripoli SSC, Hashem Bishr, however, denied any spread in the fighting. He told the Libya Herald this evening that it was taking place only in the Shara Al-Shatt area. He said that it was between forces from Misrata and other groups, which he did not name. However, one of the groups involved in the fighting is believed to be from Suq Al-Juma. Another is reported to be a Libya Shield battalion.

There are also unconfirmed reports that orders have been given to Tajoura units to close the roads into eastern Tripoli to anyone without authorisation and to secure Mitiga airbase.

Friwan was shot very early on Tuesday morning after his vehicle was stopped by checkpoint guards under the control of Tripoli’s Joint Security Operations Room.  Shortly afterwards, members of his battalion attacked the guards, injuring three of them.

At the time it was said that Friwan had been shot in the leg although it appears to have been sufficiently serious to have him air ambulanced out of the county.

Today it was also reported that Operations Room had demanded that the members of the Nosoor Battalion involved in attacking and wounding the checkpoint guards be arrested.  According the Libya news agency LANA, the Operations room said that those involved had carried out “an assault on the sovereignty of the state”. [/restrict]

Tags: fightinghashem BishrLibyaMisrataSuq Al-JumaTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

BP plays down onshore investment cutback claims

Fighting continues in Tripoli – hotel hit, guests evacuated to basement

Fighting continues in Tripoli - hotel hit, guests evacuated to basement

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.