No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi fighting subsides as Ansar Al-Sharia “disappears”

byMichel Cousins
November 25, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Benghazi fighting subsides as Ansar Al-Sharia “disappears”

text

Benghazi/Tripoli.

text
A Saiqa soldier in Benghazi this morning

By Libya Herald staff.

The death toll in fighting in Benghazi between the army’s Special Forces Saiqa Brigade and Ansar Al-Sharia is . . .[restrict]now put at nine, according to the Deputy Prime Minister and Acting Interior Minister, Sadiq Abdulrahman. He made the announcement on TV early this afternoon.

The situation in the city was reported early this afternoon to be calm with Ansar forces said to have disappeared. Saiqa appears to be in control of the streets.

The armed forces meanwhile have warned that any convoy moving inside Benghazi or trying to enter the city without a permission be will attacked by the airforce, according to Captain Ibrahim Shara, the new Benghazi Joint Security Room (BJSR) spokesman.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

“As long as there is resistance on the ground, we will continue fighting to maintain security and legitimacy,” Shara told the Libya Herald. He added that there had been a meeting between the Benghazi Elders Council and BJSR commanders this morning at which the elders demanded that civilians be protected.

Planes have been flying over the city today, but there have been no reports of any strikes.

Reports that a convoy heading towards Benghazi from Sirte had been stopped at Wadi Al-Ahmar have been denied by Colonel Ali Sheikhi, spokesman for the Chief of Staff. There is an Ansar Al-Sharia camp outside Sirte.

There is still confusion as to the cause of the fighting. It appears to have started in Benghazi’s Birkah district after Ansar Al-Sharia set up checkpoints there. Some reports say that members of the Islamist militia then shot at a vehicle belonging to Benghazi Security Directorate. Others say that Saiqa intervened after a shootout at the checkpoint between a private individual and Ansar members.

Armed local Benghazi residents have been fighting alongside Saiqa against Ansar. Saiqa commander Wanis Bukhamada has, however, asked them to go home and leave the fighting to his forces.  One local group is reported to have attacked Ansar’s headquarters in Ras Obeida district at about 8 am, setting it on fire. There was no one in the building at the time as Ansar forces were out on the streets.

All Ansar bases in the city are now reported to have been destroyed.

Dr Mohamed Belaid, the director of Al-Jalaa Hospital, close to the fighting and where many of the inured are being treated, told this newspaper that it had received seven killed and 23 wounded, three of whom were in a serious condition. he would not say who were Saiqa and who were Ansar members.  He added that the hospital was short of medicines and had asked the Medicine Supplies Department to send supplies.

This morning, the hospital put out an appeal for blood.  that the hospital’s team had been working very hard since the start of the clashes to treat the patients.

Meanwhile, Benghazi Congressman, Mohamed Busidra, an independent but close to the Justice & Construction Party, told this paper that Benghazi Congress members were travelling back to the city to monitor events. He added that Congress and the government had been in close contact since the start of the clashes.

He confirmed that the Deputy Prime Minister and the Chief of General Staff, Major-General Jaddallah Al-Obeidi, had flown to Benghazi.

“Our main object now is to stop bloodshed  between the two sides”, Busidra said, added that a “neutral” force was now needed in Benghazi. He claimed that the Omar Mukhtar Brigade  headed by Ziyad Balaam was such as a neutral force and that it had started setting up checkpoints at Benghazi’s main gates to prevent any convoys trying to enter the city.

This, however, has been denied by the BJSR spokesman.

The brigade is widely seen as Islamist and close to Ansar Al-Sharia.

Three of the dead have been named as Sulaiman Daqli, Saleh Abdel-Salam and Ahmed Magrisi.  No casualties have been reported by Ansar Al-Sharia.

With input from Aymen Amzein and Noora Ibrahim in Benghazi and Ahmed Elumami, Aimen Eljali and Seraj Essul in Tripoli.  [/restrict]

Tags: Ansar Al-ShariaBenghaziBenghazi Joint Security RoomfeaturedLibyaSaiqaSpecial Forces

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Ajilat goes on strike

Tunisians "not involved" in Benghazi clashes claims Salafist

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.