No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Another military barracks handed over

byMichel Cousins
August 5, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Another military barracks handed over

Chiefs of Staff attend Camp 27 handover (Photo: Ahmed Elumami)

By Ahmed Elumami.

Chiefs of Staff attend Camp 27 handover (Photo: Ahmed Elumami)
Chiefs of Staff attend Camp 27 handover (Photo: Ahmed Elumami)

Tripoli, 22 November 2013:

The handover of . . .[restrict]militia bases continues in the wake of the Gharghour tragedy.

Following yesterday’s handover of five bases, Camp 27, held by Libya Shield Western Brigade was today handed over to military police this afternoon. Representatives from the militia were not, however, in attendance at the brief ceremony which saw members of Wirshafana Shura Council hand over the base to security forces.

The chiefs of staff for the army, navy and air force – Mansour Bohajar,  Hassan Bushnaf and Jumaa Al-Abani – travelled to the empty barracks, officially renamed Abdul Fattah Younis Camp, to receive custody of it.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Abuejila Amer Saif Annaser, a spokesperson for Wirshafana Shura Council told the Libya Herald that it hoped to see the barracks, located west of Tripoli, between Zawia and the Wirshafana district, turned into a national hospital or a public park.  

Brigadier-General Albani, who presided over the handover, said the occasion marked the achievement of one of the objectives of the February Revolution. “Delivery of military headquarters to the state is the most important step towards building the army and the peaceful exchange of power,” he said.

“We intend to build strong and intelligent armed forces. This is the core of our concerns in the interest of Libya and Libyans,” he stressed.

The handing over of the barracks, in front of its main gate, had a markedly sparse attendance. There were no signs of any activity inside.

The base, has been disputed between Zawia whose forces occupied it in the 2011 August advance into Tripoli, and Wirshifana. Either voluntarily, or by force, the camp has changed hands at least three times with the army taking control at least twice. The army moved out in September this year allowing the Western Libya Shield Brigade to take over in Congress President Nuri Abu Sahmain’s plans to protect the capital.

In August, the Prime Minister condemned raids on Camp 27 in which specialized equipment was stolen by an unidentified militia. It later transpired that captured military equipment had been provided by the US and that as a result US training staff were pulling out.

Libyan officials, however, then claimed the raids happened at  Salahuddin although this base was being used by Zintan’s Al-Medani Brigade. It handed it over yesterday. [/restrict]

Tags: armed forcesfeaturedGharghourLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
New Border Guards commissioned

New Border Guards commissioned

Gharghour anti-brigades demo morphs into anti-Zeidan protest

Gharghour anti-brigades demo morphs into anti-Zeidan protest

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.