No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Anti-Muslim Brotherhood protests in Zawia

byMichel Cousins
October 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Anti-Muslim Brotherhood protests in Zawia

Zawia

By Libya Herald staff

Zawia
Protestors in Zawia yesterday

Tripoli, 26 October 2013:

Residents in Zawia have been staging a protest in its main square, Martyrs Square, against . . .[restrict]the local council, the General National Congress and the government. Protestors claim that the council and Congress, in particular, are dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood.

Demonstrations were said to have been launched from several mosques in the town against the Muslim Brotherhood after Friday prayers yesterday, demanding changes in both bodies.

According to former Zawia Local Council member Abdulfattah Ammar, the protests started on Wednesday afternoon, after Dhuhur prayers with “hundreds of people” converging on the square. “There were young and old people at the protest from all walks of life with no political orientation demanding the GNC a change course,” he stressed.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

Military operations launched in Zawia and surrounding areas ostensibly to fight crime – and possibly militias too

However, according to the head of Zawia Local Council, Mohamed Khathrawi, the protestors, who he said had been attending the funeral of one of the town’s revolutionaries, were not against the Brotherhood. Rather they were calling for better performances by the council and government and changes in the GNC. Members of the council, he told the Libya Herald, had gone to the square to negotiate with them.

This latter is denied by Ammar who insists that the local council did not react to the protests nor did it enter into dialogue with the protesters.

anti msulim brotherhood
A poster in Zawia: “Honourble Zawia locals disavow the Brotherhood”

There have been regular protests in Zawia against the performance of the government, Congress and the council in recent weeks. Following the accusation by the Prime Minister six days ago that two of Zawia’s Congress members, Mohamed Al-Kilani and Mustafa Al-Treiki, were involved in his kidnapping on 10 October, there were anti-Zeidan protests. The council also demanded that he withdraw any reference to Zawia in his statement – a demand that the Prime Minister has ignored.

According to Amamr, further protests are planned.

“Zawia locals will be taking part in 9 November Movement to show their dissatisfaction at the work of the GNC,” he said.

The 9 November Movement is an initiative by Libyan civil society activists, former revolutionaries and media people According to its Facebook page it aims “to save the country from conflict between different factions who have lost sight of reconciliation” and put the Libyan revolution back on track. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali ZeidanLibyaMohamed AL KilaniZawia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Libya International Fair for Dates and Associated Industries opens in Tripoli

Libya International Fair for Dates and Associated Industries opens in Tripoli

Libya to hold first Global Entrepreneurship Week in November

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.