No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ailing terrorist suspect Nazih al-Ruqaii now in the US

byNigel Ash
October 17, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ailing terrorist suspect Nazih al-Ruqaii now in the US

This is believed to be a recent picture of Nazih Ruqaii

By Hadi Fornaji.

Tripoli, 14 October 2013:

A reportedly sick Nazih Al-Ruqaii, alias Abu Anas Al-Libi,  who was kidnapped from outside his home . . .[restrict]in the Tripoli district of Nufleen eleven days ago, is due to appear in court in New York tomorrow, to face charges relating to the bombings of two East African embassies in 1998.

After he was abducted, Ruqaii was taken to a US warship, where it was expected that he would undergo extensive interrogation about his alleged links with Al-Qaeda. However US military sources are being reported as saying that their 49-year old suspect was found to be too ill to be treated properly on the US naval vessel. He was therefore flown two or three days ago to the United States for specialist care.

Following Prime Minister Ali Zeidan and Justice Minister Salah Marghani visit to Ruqaii’s wife, Um Abdulrahaman six days ago, Marghani said that the kidnapped man was “very sick ”.

RELATED POSTS

LBC to lead delegation to New York’s ‘‘Summer Fancy Food Show’’ from 29 June 29 to 1 July

Kidnaper in 2019 of 14 Tunisian nationals convicted for 12 years’ imprisonment

The government has protested that Ruqaii’s seizure contravened international law and that whatever his crimes, as a Libyan, Ruqaii should be tried in Libya. It has demanded that he be returned to Libya immediately.

Marghani told a press conference that he had protested to the American ambassador, Deborah Jones. She had promised legal rights for the abductee, as well as allowing him to be in contact with the Libyan government and the Libyan embassy in Washington. Marghani also said that  the government had been in touch with the International Red Cross asking it to visit Ruqaii to check on his condition and to ensure that he could phone his family at the earliest possible opportunity.

He was indicted in 2000 along with 20 other Al-Qaeda suspects, including Osama bin Laden and his successor as Al-Qaeda leader, Ayman Al-Zawahri.

He is accused of being part of the simultaneous bombings of US embassies in Nairobi in Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in which 224 people perished and thousands were injured. The charges include conspiring to kill US citizens and destroy US property.

Last Friday, the New York judge hearing the embassy bombing case denied a request from the public defender’s office that the court appoint a defence lawyer. The prosecutor’s office argued successfully that Ruqaii had first to prove that he could not afford to pay for a lawyer. [/restrict]

Tags: Abu Anas Al-LibichargeskidnappingLibyaNazih Al-RuqaiiNew York

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Eid in Benghazi marked by killings and violence

Eid in Benghazi marked by killings and violence

Nazih Al-Ruqaii pleads not guilty in NY court: remanded in custody

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.