No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mohammed Busidra to join GNC next week

byNigel Ash
August 31, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan.

Mohammed Busidra set to be sworn in next week to replace former Benghazi congressman, Abdelmomem Al-Waheyshi (Photo: Facebook)

 

Tripoli, 30 August 2013:

Mohammed Busidra will be sworn into the General National Congress (GNC) as an independent member for . . .[restrict]Benghazi early next week, pending formal approval from GNC head Nuri Abu Sahmain.

He will replace Abdelmonem Al-Waheyshi, who resigned after losing in the elections for the head of the GNC to Abu Sahmain. Busidra joins the GNC on the basis that he won the next highest number of votes in the list of Benghazi independents in the 2012 elections after the leading nine were chosen as Congress members.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Originally from Beida, Busidra was a political prisoner for 21 years. After the revolution, worked as a consultant to the head of the National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdul Jalil.

Busidra told the Libya Herald that he does not intend to be part of any bloc in the GNC: “I would support resolutions from any bloc if they are in the national interest. One day I might support the National Forces Alliance (NFA) and the Justice and Construction Party (J&C) the next day – and the day after it might be Martyrs bloc.”

Asked about a controversial Friday sermon he recently gave in Benghazi, Busidra said that he was invited by Ministry of Islamic Affairs officials to deliver the sermon to calm things down and that he tried to tackle sensitive issues.

“I was in Beida when I was asked to deliver the sermon and I accepted it. It’s a national duty to me,”  Busidra said, “I condemned both the attack on Libya Shield and the killings. It is forbidden to spill human blood for no reason.” He said that Prime Minister Ali Zeidan should have made a public statement about Libya Shield, saying: “If he needs them, then he should defend them too.”

Busidra accused opposition groups of running a smear campaign against him, because of his religious and political work.

“Federalists and secularists tried to use that Friday sermon against me and succeeded in putting hatred in the hearts of many against me. But they have failed to stop me from the religious and political activities. I consider this work national duty,” he said.

Busidra added that federalists tried to pin the blame on him after several offices were attacked, but denied any involvement. “Those who attacked these offices are from certain areas known to Benghazi residents,” he said, “most of them don’t even pray and yet they (the Federalists) said it was because of my sermon.”

Busidra said that part of a television interview where he appeared to say say he had sat with those involved in the killings of military officials in Benghazi had been taken out of context.

“The recordings are available from that interview,”  he said. “I said that I have met with Islamists that you call ‘extremists’ and I think we only need to do four things to include them in the process.”

These, Busidra said, were to have Sharia Law as the main source of legislation, implement the Political Isolation Law, cleanse the Judiciary from corrupt judges and put military officers involved in the killing of Libyans on trial.

“This statement was read out of context and spread heavily as part of smear campaign against me,” he told the Libya Herald. “Personally, I warned the Islamists that if they continued to create disturbances then many people would blame them –  and those who can conduct drone attacks in Waziristan would use them in the Jebel Akhdar too,” he added.

Speaking about the recent killing of Abdul Salaam Mesmari, Busidra said that he had been outspoken but was a nationalist who loved Libya. “He was very aggressive in speech but at heart it was purely out of love for Libya,” he said. “I think the night before he was killed he spoke very angrily about the Ikhwan (Muslim Brotherhood) and the very next day he was killed. It seemed like a deliberate attempt to frame them for the killing.” He added that the killer would have to answer on the Judgment Day.

Busidra said that the investigations into the spate of killings in Benghazi were incomplete and that this appeared to reflect badly on those responsible for the investigations. “These are very important cases and results of investigations would give a lot of answers to many people that accuse the Islamists of being behind these killings,” he said. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziGNCLibyaMohummed Busidra

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Egyptian PM calls on Libya to clamp down on border arms smuggling

Funding deficit to halt clearance of unsafe Misrata ammunition stores

Funding deficit to halt clearance of unsafe Misrata ammunition stores

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.