No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Gunmen target another Benghazi journalist, threaten to kill her next time

byMichel Cousins
August 12, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Gunmen target another Benghazi journalist, threaten to kill her next time

Khadija Al-Amami

By Ashraf Abdul-Wahab.

Khadija Al-Amami

Tripoli, 12 August 2013:

Benghazi journalist Khadija Al-Amami was shot at today by unknown gunmen. They missed but then sent . . .[restrict]her an SMS message saying they would kill her next time if she did not stop reporting.

Al Amani, who is director of Benghazi office of Libya Al-Ahrar TV as well as working for Libya Mostakbal, told the Libya Herald that she was driving in Sidi Khrebish today to work when a car pulled up beside her and started shooting.  However, the bullets hit a wall next to the road and the attackers drove off.

“I couldn’t concentrate to see the car,” she said. “After they shot at me, I stopped. People in the street came to check that I was all right.” She then drove on to work.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

Later, she said, she received an SMS saying “We missed you this time, but we’re going to kill you next time if you do not stop your journalism.”

She says she does not know who the attackers were. She is not sure if they intended to kill. She thinks the missed shots may have been deliberate. “They may have been trying to frighten me,” she said.

Three days ago, Izzaldin Qasaad, a young TV presenter for the Libya Alhurra TV channel was killed in a drive-by shooting as he left a mosque in Benghazi’s Sidi Hussain district. The killers remain unknown although it has been reported that he received a death threat three days earlier saying he would be killed if he delivered a speech celebrating Eid al-Fitr. It was after he gave the speech that he was shot dead after leaving the local mosque after Friday prayers.

Another journalist, Osama Audairi, was shot in the hand outside a bank in Ajdabiya on Saturday. It is not known if he too was deliberately targeted or was an accidental victim of a random shooting.

In response to Qasaad’s murder, Reporters Without Borders said that Libya was becoming an “increasingly dangerous and unstable” place for members of the media and demanded that the Libyan authorities urgently put into place legislative and judicial measures to protect the rights of journalists and guarantee freedom of press. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedgunmenjournalistsLibyaterrorists

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Two soldiers killed in Sirte ambush

Special Forces colonel survives assassination attempt

Special Forces colonel survives assassination attempt

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.