No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Developers start to wreck UNESCO World Heritage site

bythomwestcott
August 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Developers start to wreck UNESCO World Heritage site

Areas of the necropolis have been lost forever (Photo: With thanks to France 24)

Areas of the necropolis have been . . .[restrict]lost forever (Photo: With thanks to France 24)

Tripoli, 25 August 2013:

Libyan property speculators are sacrificing a two thousand year old necropolis at Cyrene to make way for new building development.

Cyrene’s ten-square-kilometre necropolis has been badly damaged by local residents claiming ownership of the land. Despite it being one of the country’s five UNESCO World Heritage sites, local farmers have reportedly brought in excavators and diggers to clear and flatten those areas they plan to sell to developers for future building projects.

Plans for the 500-square-metre plots are understood to include houses and shops.

“The site was damaged along about two kilometres,” Archaeology Professor at Bayda University, Ahmed Hussein, told France 24. “About 200 vaults and tombs were destroyed, as well as a section of a viaduct that dates back to approximately 200 AD.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

He added that ancient artefacts were thrown into a nearby river as if they were rubbish.

Hussein has been campaigning to put a stop to this cultural catastrophe  but says his pleas have got him nowhere. “I have been trying everything to stop this disaster. I appealed, in vain, to the archaeological authorities as well as the local authorities,” said Hussein, “I even called the Culture Minister on his mobile phone. I left a message but I haven’t heard anything yet.”

He added that he had contacted the head of a local brigade in charge of security in the area. He said the brigade could apparently only intervene if instructed by the authorities.

Locals who claim the land is theirs have no official documents pertaining to ownership. They do say, however, that they would abandon the Cyrene project if given compensation or new plots of land by the government.

Cyrene was one of the largest Greek cities in the Classical period  and continued to be an important city under the Romans until it was badly damaged during an earthquake in AD 365. UNESCO has described Cyrene as “one of the most impressive complexes of ruins in the entire world.”

The Libya Herald was not able to contact UNESCO today.

The ancient city of Cyrene has been classed as a World Heritage site since 1985 (Photo: UNESCO)
[/restrict]

Tags: ancient sitearchaeologyconflict antiquitiesCyrenefeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Benghazi man killed in front of family, "victim of feud"

Warshefana Zawia peace deal threatened by fresh kidnappings

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.