No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ramadan food baskets for needy families

byNihal Zaroug
July 19, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ramadan food baskets for needy families

Libyan Red Crescent volunteers filling "Ramadan Baskets" for needy and displaced families in Tripoli (Photo: LRC Facebook)

By Nihal Zaroug.

Libyan Red Crescent volunteers filling “Ramadan Baskets” for needy and displaced families in Tripoli (Photo: LRC Facebook)

Tripoli, 19 July 2013:

Since the start of the holy month, the Libyan Red Crescent (LRC) has been packing food . . .[restrict]items into “Ramadan baskets” for needy and displaced families in Tripoli. The initiative, a joint effort between LRC’s Tripoli branch and the International Committee of the Red Cross, will continue throughout Ramadan.

Over 70 volunteers have been working extended hours, filling bags with staple foodstuffs, including cooking oil, flour, rice, pasta, canned tomatoes and drinks. A shipment of dates from the UAE’s Red Crescent is also being shared out between the baskets, along with household essentials, such as detergent. Most of the supplies were purchased with LRC funds but some items have been donated by manufacturers, said head of LRC Tripoli’s media office, Malek Mirsit.

Since the first day of Ramadan, Mirsit told the Libya Herald, over 1,000 baskets have been handed out to families in the capital. The main collection point is the LCR’s storage facility in Qashir Ben Gashir and, with the cooperation of the local council, registered families can pick up supplies on a daily basis. The LRC has also given baskets to civil society organisation (CSOs), for direct delivery.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

“It is not only Libyan families who are receiving the assistance,” said Mirsit, “but also Syrian refugees.”

If it weren’t for the power cuts, LRC would be working continuously to assist those in need, he said. To get parcels ready before any electricity outages, volunteer team are now starting work at 4 am.

LRC team delivering water, dates, milk and other Iftar staples to Tripoli mosque (Photo: LRC Facebook)

As well as the Ramadan baskets, the LRC is providing dates, halwa, milk and water for Iftar, at mosques across the capital. “Today we will be distributing Iftar staples to mosques in Tajoura and will continue doing so at other Tripoli area mosques throughout Ramadan,” said Mirsit.

In Zawiya, local boys scouts have been running a similar project, providing Iftar and main meals throughout the holy month, as well as light snacks to those on the road. In a similar move, young people, businesses and CSOs from the town of Waddan, in the district of Jufra, have set up a Ramadan tent on the central Fezzan Road, providing meals to travellers to the area. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyan Red CrescentRamdanRamdan BasketsTripoliWaddanZawiya

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
EU airspace still off-limits for Libyan aircraft

EU airspace still off-limits for Libyan aircraft

Conversations across Libya; hopes, fears and expectations of citizens on the Constitution

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.