No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Local Government Minister resigns

byMichel Cousins
July 25, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Umar Khan.

Tripoli, 25 July 2013:

The Minister for Local Government, Abubaker Al-Hadi Mohammed, has resigned.

The move was not, however,  completely unexpected. . . .[restrict]Mohammed was one of a small handful of ministers seen to be affected by the Political Isolation Law (PIL), passed in June by the General National Congress (GNC).

The decision was confirmed by a senior source in the Ministry, who said that the Minister tendered his resignation after he was informed that the new PIL Standards Commission had ruled that he be “isolated” in accordance with the law.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“Yes, the Minister has indeed resigned after being informed about the PIL. He had two options, either to resign respectfully or  be sacked. With the best intentions, he chose to resign without escalating anything,” the source said.

The PIL Standards Commission, which has replaced the former Integrity Commission and is headed by the same chairman, Hilal Senussi, is now fully functioning following the nomination of a number of members by the Supreme Judicial Council and then their swearing-in by the GNC earlier this month. Commonly referred to as the New Integrity Commission, it has already started sending out questionnaires to top officials in order to fully implement the controversial law. The same questionnaires, which seek to discover who served in key posts during the Qaddafi era, will eventually go to all officials. Anyone discovered to have lied on their questionnaire will face criminal charges.

The newly-appointed government spokesman, Abdussalam Sabri Sharief, was not available for comment on the resignation.

Mohammed was in the office for almost nine months but is not seen as having made much of a mark during the period. Seen within the Ministry as a slow mover, he made no changes to existing laws and or any progress on the local administration law prepared by Mohammed Hadi Hashemi Harari who served as minister in Abdurrahim Al-Kib’s government. There have been allegations that Mohammed had numerous problems with a number of ministry officials resulting in a few resigning in protest.

According to sources, government officials have already been in contact with a number of possible candidates to replace Mohammed. “We have already spoken with two candidates. One has refused, citing personal reasons, but we are still making contact with others,” said an official on condition of anonymity.

It is not only ministers who will be affected by the PIL. Several members of Congress are also set to fall as a result of it, among them the First Deputy President, Juma Ateega.

The former head of Congress, Mohamed Magarief, who 30 years ago served as a Libyan Ambassador in India, resigned in May rather than wait to be sacked. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaLocal government minister

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
RPG attack on UAE embassy “act of terrorism”: Interior Ministry

RPG attack on UAE embassy “act of terrorism”: Interior Ministry

Ukrainian ship held in Benghazi for seventh day

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.