No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli students carry out threat and go on strike

byMichel Cousins
June 11, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Reem Tombookti.

Tripoli, 11 June 2013:

Students at the University of Tripoli carried out their repeated threats this morning and went on . . .[restrict]strike over poor security arrangements on campus.

The students had threatened earlier this month to take action if the government did not make an effective move to end to recurrent security breaches and attacks on students.

“We don’t want talk. Action is what we need to see,” Hafeth El-Qabroon, the students’ leader at the Engineering Faculty, told the Libya Herald today. “In the past two weeks alone there have been seven registered reports of harassment of female students. One wonders how many other cases we don’t know about. There must be many cases where the girls are not talking [because of humiliation]. This has been going on for too long.” he also added.

RELATED POSTS

Closing ceremony for Skills and Solutions Hackathon project held at University of Tripoli yesterday

On its opening day, ”Innovation Summer Season” discusses urban planning

There also have been several shooting incidents inside the university campuses over the past year.  Some students carry guns to study.

It is not clear for how long the strike will last. It has not been backed by all the students. A significant number are complaining about the timing, coming just as they were supposed to sit their mid-term exams.

“We, ourselves, are against closing the university. But we have no other choice. This is our last resort to get our voices heard,” Qabroon commented when asked about the complaints. “We are right now trying to find a solution for this. We want to solve problems, not create them,” he stated.

Students say that if their demands for better security fail they will have to protect themselves and the university. This could be done by forming faculty security groups made up of students from each faculty, they say.

The Minister of Higher Education told the Libya Herald last month that it was not satisfied with the security situation in Libyan universities, stating that it was “thinking of establishing a Universities’ Facilities Guard body, similar to that of the Petroleum Facilities Guard”.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaTripoli university

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Italian embassy car bombed; no one hurt

Italian embassy car bombed; no one hurt

Opinion: Libya is not rich…yet

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.