No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Lawyers slam “alarming” growth of attacks on judiciary

bySami Zaptia
June 19, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji

Tripoli, 19 June 2013:

Acts of violence and retaliation against lawyers and judges have been increasing at “an alarming rate” . . .[restrict]said Lawyers for Justice in Libya today, after the assassination of a Derna judge, the third such murder to occur this year.

Judge Najib Mohamed Huwaidi, was shot dead in a drive-by shooting in front of the local courthouse on Sunday. His slaying follows the killing of Justices Murad Alarouby in Tripoli and Gumma Aljawi in Benghazi.

The murders are only the most egregious acts against the legal profession. LFJL pointed out that earlier this month, lawyer and human rights activist, Hanan Al-Newaisery and her father, the children’s rights activist, Mustafa Al-Newaisry, were assaulted and beaten in front of Misrata’s Zarouk courthouse.  The attacker was allegedly a defendant in a child abuse case. Onlookers did nothing to stop the assaults which took place in broad daylight.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba vows to impose justice, law and order – puts militias on notice

Continued, targeted arrests and subsequent sentencing of unprecedent thousands of criminals since 2011 created deterrence against crime: Attorney General

Newaisry was then kidnapped and further assaulted said LFJL, adding that Hana Newaisery had previously informed authorities of threats made to her including rape but that no action had been taken.

“Acts of violence and retaliation against lawyers and judges have increased at an alarming rate across the country” said LFJL Director Elham Saudi, “ as individuals have resorted to violence to take the law into their own hands.  These attacks signify a great threat to the establishment of the rule of law, and disrupt any progress being made to re-build the country’s already fraught judicial system.

Saudi continued: “It is the role of the legal community to uphold the rule of law. Any attack on members of the legal community, is an attack on the fundamental principles of the rule of law and the right to access to justice. It could have the potential to silence victims, in particular vulnerable victims of human rights abuses, and could discourage lawyers and judges from taking controversial cases. This ultimately sends the message that violence is above the rule of law. If we are to overcome these attacks, and build trust in our judicial system, the perpetrators of these violent attacks must be held accountable.”

Saudi called for tighter court security  and protection for lawyers and judges, at a time when they are seeking to rebuild the judicial system.

“No person should be prevented from going to work because of fear of attack” said Saudi, “When this happens to lawyers and judges, it not only breaches their right to physical safety but also holds hostage the ability of other persons to access justice and to enforce their own rights.” [/restrict]

Tags: judgesJusticelawyersLFJLviolence

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Libyan Food Expo strong on its third day

Libyan Food Expo strong on its third day

UN told that Libya’s transition will remain difficult and that Political Isolation Law violates civil rights.

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.