No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“We won’t use these weapons”: militiamen at Justice Ministry siege

bythomwestcott
May 2, 2013
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
“We won’t use these weapons”: militiamen at Justice Ministry siege

(Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Tom Westcott.

Militiamen demanding that the proposed Political Isolation Law be passed . . .[restrict]say they will not use their weapons (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 1 May 2013:

Militiamen who are besieging the Ministry of Justice demanding that the Political Isolation Law be passed say that they will not fire the guns they used to shut the ministry.

“We are not going to use these weapons,” one protestor told the Libya Herald today. Gesturing towards seven ‘technicals’ (vehicles mounted with anti-aircraft guns) and one vehicle armed with a multiple-launch rocket system (MLRS) parked opposite the Ministry, he said: “This is the only way we could close the ministries. This is the only way we could make people listen to us.”

He said that supporters of the proposed Political Isolation Law, which would prevent Qaddafi-era officials from holding high-level posts, had previously been protesting peacefully for eight months in a tent in Martyrs’ Square. Despite some 90 people joining the protest every night, he said, it had had no impact on the GNC.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

“We stood without guns for eight months but nothing changed and no-one listened to us,” he said.“So we came here.”

Two more technicals were parked outside the entrance to the ministry and several of the militia carried guns.

Some protestors were anxious for guns and armed vehicles not to be included in photographs. “This is not what it’s about,” one said, “it is just about the law. Everybody from the old system must go.” He added that many people, not just freedom fighters, wanted the Political Isolation Law to be passed.

“You can see that we are not using guns here,” another said. “Everyone can drive and walk past. We just want the new law.” He added that Tripoli was safe.

“These are freedom fighters, these are good people,” he said. “If the law is passed on Sunday, we will just go home.” [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyamilitiaMinistry of JusticePolitical Isolation LawTripoliweapons

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Saif Al-Islam appears in Zintan court

LD 3.28 billion for 41,000 students abroad, LD 7 billion for SME & large JV projects

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.