No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Protestors force out Ministry militiamen

byMichel Cousins
September 21, 2013
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Protestors force out Ministry militiamen

Protestors at the Foreign Ministry today

By Aimen Eljali and Hadi Fornaji.

Protestors at the Foreign Ministry today (Photo: Aiman Eljali)

Tripoli, 10 May 2013:

Militiamen who have been besieging the Foreign Ministry this evening fled when hundreds . . .[restrict]of pro-democracy supporters arrived at the building to demonstrate their support for the government.

Around 200 demonstrators had marched from Algeria Square along the Corniche to the Ministry but were quickly joined by others along the way, overwhelming the couple of dozen or so militiamen who were still mounting their siege outside the Ministry buildings.

Some of these retreated further along the Corniche. Around six or seven others rushed behind the walls of the Ministry annexe across the road from the main building and from there tried to berate the protestors. When these ripped down the militiamen’s signs, one of the latter tried to hit out at protestors from the top of the wall with a long stick. The result was that dozens of demonstrators started banging on the gate to try and get in and then rushed round to the side entrance, hoping to grab the man.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

There then followed some quick negotiations at the gate between the two sides in which the militiamen, claiming to be from Benghazi and there to guard the ministry, said that they would deal with the man. They then retired to a corner of the compound and took no further part in proceedings.

Earlier in Algeria Square, around 400 anti-militia protesters brought traffic to a halt. Placards read: “With our blood we will defence the legitimacy of the government”, “No to bringing down the government with arms” and “Get rid of the guns in your hands and start building Libya”.

“I don’t like Zeidan”, said a protestor, “but he was appointed by a democratically-elected Congresss. “We must support him”.

Others agreed. “I don’t want him removed this way”, said one of them. “It must be Congress that decides.”

The crowd roared anti-militia chants interspersed with takbeers (“Allahu Akbar”) and occasional barbs at Qatar.

“We don’t want to be ruled by Mozah and Hamid,” they shouted – a reference to the Emir of Qatar, Hamid bin Khalifa Al-Thani and his wife, Sheikha Mozah, who was brought up in Libya. Qatar is accused by many of interfering in Libya by funding Salafists and other Islamists.

Placards also called on Qatar to stop interfering.

Protestors in Algeria Square called for Qatar to stop interfering in Libya (Photo: Aimen Eljali)

Not all the protestors in Algeria Square headed to the foreign ministry; about half stayed to continue their demonstration there.

Over at the Ministry, numbers grew to around 800. There, the cries of opposition to gun-law continued, again interspersed with calls against Qatar as well as demands that Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush be dismissed. Many held him responsible for the actions of the militiamen, some saying that he had proved incapable of stopping them, others saying that he was complicit in formenting them. Many others accused either the Muslim Brotherhood or Salfists of being behind the sieges and the attempt to bring down the government by force.

One protestor outside the Ministry, Yassin Kabar, said that his brother Rashid had been hanged at Tripoli University by Qaddafi in 1984. “That’s why I’m here – to stand up for democracy against these gunmen.”  They had been chased away, he said, because they did not represent the Libyan people. “The people are the real force in Libya, not the gunmen,” he stated.

The numbers in both Algeria Square and outside the Ministry were much higher than expected and, following the Prime Minister’ stand on Tuesday when he told Defence Minister Mohamed Bargahthi not to resign, felt like a watershed event, a turning of the tide against the militias. “It’s going to be good now,” said another of the protestors.

It was pointed out that the militiamen had not entirely disappeared. The dozen hanging around further along the Corniche, leaning against the balustrade, saying nothing, were angry and sullen. It was noticeable too that the militiamen’s tents, which had been there in the morning, had gone as had their gun-mounted vehicles that had been hiding behind the Ministry gates.

But could they not be back with more to blockade the Ministry later, once the protestors had vanished?  “No”, said one of the protest organisers. “They have discovered that they are not loved and do not represent Libya. We’re not going to tolerate this nonsense any more.” In any event, he said, there would be a mass march on Sunday morning, to lead Foreign Ministry staff back to work.

Nonetheless, outside the Ministry there was a small but growing gathering of militiamen supporters at the edge of the demonstrations, glaring angrily at the protestors.“They’re not going to take this lying down,” said one journalist covering the event.

It did not take long for his prediction to prove true.

Shortly after the demonstration was largely over, several pro-militia supporters moved into the area, chanting “No to Azlam (a reference to those whom they say supported Qaddafi).  One pushed a journalist out the way and then grabbed a demonstrator’s sign and tore it up. Another shouted to a woman protestor: “What are you doing here? Go home, you whore!”

They were also seen in nearby streets trying to grab people who may have been at the demonstration and force them into cars. They were seen to take two older men, a younger one and a woman.

A reporter was chased by a group down an alleyway behind the British Residence. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaMiltiamenMinistry of Foreign Affairs

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

New clashes in Sebha, 1 man killed

We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat Badri – Tripoli Local Council

We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat Badri - Tripoli Local Council

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.