No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress committee calls for action against oil facility attackers

byMichel Cousins
May 21, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ahmed Elumami.

Tripoli, 21 May 2013:

The Energy Committee of the General National Congress today said that that anyone who forces oil . . .[restrict]facilities to close should be prosecuted in the courts. People had the right to make peaceful protests, the Committee said, but no one had the right to shut down installations or prevent people from going to work there.

The call follows a spate of attacks and sieges of oil complexes, often by protestors unconnected to the oil industry or by locals demanding jobs in the sector. Yesterday, armed gunmen attacked the Mellitah gas complex west of Zuara injuring at least two guards.

Last week, for the fourth time since November, protestors forced the closure of the Zueitina oil terminal, stopping exports, over demands for jobs for locals.  In March, protestors forced the closure of the Gialo field for 17 days, again over the issue of jobs.  According to Oil Minister Abdulbari Al-Arusi the latter caused Libya to lose 120,000 barrels of oil a day in production.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

Aldabaiba forms technical committee to examine controversial NC7 Hamada oil deal – must report by 30 January

Such acts were illegal and deeply harmful to the state and its economy, the Committee said. Those responsible should be brought to account. Noting that Congress has asked the Government to ensure oil facilities were fully protected, it added that there needed to be more awareness in the country about the importance of the oil sector.

Protests such as sit-ins were a democratic right, it said, but some were deliberately intent on closing oil facilities in a bid to force the government into concessions.  It was resulting in material losses and giving foreign companies the impression that Libya was unstable as investment environment and investment in the oil sector was not safe.

  [/restrict]

Tags: General National CongressGialoLibyaMellitahoilZueitina

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Five Serb "mercenaries" fly home

Libya to seek renewed credit rating: Central Bank Governor Elkaber

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.