No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Collapsed building in Tripoli built in 1920’s or 30’s: Housing Minister Sherief

bySami Zaptia
May 11, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat Badri – Tripoli Local Council

Housing and Utlities Minister Ali Sherief (left) (photo:Sami Zaptia).

Housing and Utlities Minister Ali Sherief (left) at yesterday’s pres conference (Photo:Sami Zaptia).

By Sami Zaptia.

 

Tripoli, 11 May 2013:

At a late press conference held last night, Friday, Housing and Utilities Minister Ali Sherief said that the house that had collapsed earlier in the day killing five people, including a pregnant woman, was probably built in the 1920’s or 30’s.

Sherief added that many of the buildings in the area were due for demolition and that in about 2006-7, under the former regime, many tenants were compensated and had vacated the properties. To compound this problem, many tenants had, without planning permission, added new floors to these very old and weak buildings – without seeking advice from engineers.

RELATED POSTS

Workshop on performance efficiency and quality assurance in the contracting sector

Contracts signed with Turkish company for installation of air navigation and ground communication systems at seven eastern-controlled airports

Unfortunately, Sherief added, the government had not demolished the buildings and they were, due to the housing shortage, subsequently re-occupied by new tenants. The current tenants are now refusing to vacate them until the government provides alternative accommodation, he explained.

The Minister took the opportunity to warn the public not to re-occupy housing that was previously vacated on the basis that it was unsafe to live in.

Looking forward, Minister Sherief said that the Housing Ministry had a three point plan in response to the building collapse. First, it is going to conduct an audit of the area and the quality and quantity of the housing in it. He admitted that his Ministry had little information about the housing in the area.

Secondly, a technical audit of buildings in the area would be conducted and tenants would be warned if they were found to be living in buildings that were in danger of falling. And finally, Minister Sherief informed that the government was providing temporary rented accommodation to those affected, because no permanent housing was available due to the housing shortage, as well as financial help with the rent.

In the short term Housing Minister Sherief also revealed that the government was going to build 1,200 prefabricated houses in Tripoli as a stop gap measure until permanent housing is ready. This process will be replicated all over Libya, the Minister added. [/restrict]

Tags: Ali SheriefcolonialconstructionItalianMinister of Housing and UtilitiesUN

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Chinese construction company has returned, discussions with Turks and Brazilians ongoing – Housing Minister

Chinese construction company has returned, discussions with Turks and Brazilians ongoing – Housing Minister

We have created an emergency plan for any future building collapses: Sadat Badri – Tripoli Local Council

UN Resolution 1973 says there must be compensation for foreign companies: Housing Minister

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.