No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli security being beefed up after French Embassy attack: Shuwail

byMichel Cousins
April 24, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli security being beefed up after French Embassy attack: Shuwail

Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail visited the house opposite the embassy, which was severely damaged by the blast (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

By Umar Khan.

Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail visits a house opposite the embassy, which was severely damaged by the blast (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Tripoli, 23 April 2013:

Security of diplomatic missions in Tripoli as well as government institutions is being beefed up, Interior . . .[restrict]Minister Ashour Shuwail said this afternoon. He was responding to the bombing of the French Embassy in Tripoli this morning.

“We regret the bombing incident and also the damage it did to the neighbouring houses. Truly it was a very sad sight,” he said, following a visit to the site. “We have stepped up the security of the state institutions and diplomatic missions. A joint investigation committee has also been set up, consisting of members from the Crime Investigation Department, Intelligence, Tripoli police force, Supreme Security Committee Tripoli branch and the Diplomatic Task Force. Additionally a French team of experts will be helping the joint investigation committee. We will soon know the details but with the impact it looks like a lot of explosives were used.”

Countering claims by local residents that the security forces took their time to respond to the bombing – reports vary between 45 minutes to two hours – Shuwail said that the Ministry was quick to respond, with all the relevant persons being informed shortly after the blast, which occurred around 7.10 am. An investigation team had visited the scene to gather details about the explosion.

RELATED POSTS

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Referring to the casualties, he said the two injured French gendarmes were immediately taken to hospital. One was discharged straightway. The other with serious injuries was being treated.

“The neighbouring houses were damaged too, especially one opposite to the embassy. The gate of the embassy crashed into the house damaging it because of the force of explosion. Some residents were also injured and have been taken to Tunisia. We are coordinating with the Ministries of Health and of Foreign Affairs to see what can be done regarding treatment of the injured. We are also trying to quickly repair the damaged houses,” Shuwail said.

The explosion caused extensive damage to neighbouring houses (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

He noted that it was difficult for Libya to guarantee security in present circumstances.  As last week’s events in Boston had showed, even the US could not guarantee it.

He also said that number of proposals on security for diplomatic missions were being assessed and decisions would shortly be made. The Diplomatic Task Force that is to provide security to embassies and other missions was almost ready to start working, he added.

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Embassy bomb closes French Institute

Embassy bomb closes French Institute

Embassy attack: foreigners seem determined to "soldier on".

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.