No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Positive outlook on first day of oil and gas exhibition

byNigel Ash
April 23, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

 By Nigel Ash.

Tripoli, 22 April 2013:

Though there was some caution, the sentiment was generally upbeat among exhibitors at the Oil and Gas . . .[restrict]Libya and Infrastructure Libya exhibition and conference that opened today at the Tripoli International Fairground.

While there was a smattering of infrastructure firms among the 118 exhibitors from 20 countries, the majority was from the oil and gas industry with service companies predominating.  French, Chinese and Turkish firms were strongly represented with a large stand from Germany’s Wintershall.  Of the Libyan oil companies NOC and Mellitah were prominent.

Exploration and Production activity has remained at a low level, said one visitor to the neighbouring conference. Before the revolution there had been 80 rigs, including offshore; now there were only 13. In recent months foreign oilcos have cited security as the main reason for their holding back on returning to their old activity levels. BP, for instance, is still reconsidering its plan to resume full operations this autumn following the In Amenas attack in Algeria this January. The British-based company was not among the Tripoli exhibitors.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

However there has also been unhappiness with the tight terms of the EPSA IV licensing rounds, which have been described as some of the toughest worldwide, with some foreign oil partners ceding up to 90 percent of their production to NOC or one of its subsidiaries.

Activity among NOC companies has been mixed.  Agoco and Harouge are reportedly big spenders on new equipment whereas other NOC subsidiaries are currently quiet.

The opening speech of the conference was given by oil minister Abdulbari Ali Abdel-Hadi Al-Arusi who repeated his announcement last month that Libya would be running a further licensing round later this year.  Arusi said that Libya was determined to boost its current 1.5 million barrels a day production to 1.7 billion by the end of the year.

The keynote address was given by Bernard Avignon, General Manager, Total EP Libya, who reminded his audience that Total had been present in Libya for over 50 years.

Avignon said that Total currently had two major projects in progress, a 3D seismic acquisition in the Mabruk field due to start in December and two deep offshore exploration wells looking for gas resources, work on which will begin next month.

Total, one of the two leading sponsors of the show and conference had a large stand in the exhibition hall with room for both business discussions and two Formula One race car simulators.  One Libyan visitor made a few convincing high speed circuits of the track before pulling into the pits and clambering out of the race car. He thanked the Total people but explained that the simulator was not as exciting as driving in Tripoli traffic.

  [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaOil & Gas exhibitionTotalWintersha;

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
Next Post

Training the courts to protect children’s rights

French embassy bombed

French embassy bombed

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.