No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Friday rallies called throughout the country in support of Libya’s transition.

byNihal Zaroug
August 24, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Friday for a United Libya .

A . . .[restrict]nation-wide appeal to stand for a united Libya has been launched  by a group of independent activists and others from civil society organisations. The event planned for 19 April, Friday, plans to show to the outside world that Libyans are in favour of unity, transitional justice and national reconciliation, a Libya that says ‘Yes’ to moving  beyond the fighting, past the collective punishments, past the corruption and past jungle law.

Mohamed Alshokri, among the ‘Friday Libya for All’ organisers from Benghazi, believes that Libya’s image has been distorted, and the issues facing it have “dissolved it as a country”. Asked to further explain his latter point, he implied that the nation was being divided by tribal and zonal conflicts, partisan politics, and by eagerness to class Libyans according their affiliations to the former regime.

Although these issues are significant, they do not represent Libya as a whole, he said, adding that he believed Libyans are now more concerned with building the country. They  see justice and reconciliation as integral parts of the process.

Alshokri claimed the initiative has been misconstrued as an effort to vilify the political isolation law, pointing out that many see the path towards national reconciliation as antagonistic to that legislation. However, he said that the two are not in opposition, but rather the law, if properly applied, could be a tool to achieve reconciliation.

The ‘Friday Libya for All’ group has also been accused of being backed by certain political parties, an allegation that Alshokri flatly denied: “We are a network of activists and some of us even fought in the war. We know each other from previous dealings or are simply friends. We have helped organise rallies in the past and strive to promote the true aspirations of the revolution”.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

He added “Libya is not like any other country. We are being watched to see what we do with the freedom we fought for.”

The audience is not just the international community, he said.  The rally aims to send a clear message to Libya’s governing bodies, that citizens want to move on and rebuild the country. As an activist who had been involved in the revolution since March 2011, Alshokri said he had noted a shift in the public’s understanding of concepts relating to human rights and rule of law. He cited Misrata’s “Enough”, and Zawia’s “Oppression has no legitimacy”, campaigns as recent examples to back his observation.

The ‘Friday Libya for All’ organisers plan rallies for Tripoli, Benghazi, Misrata, Zawia, the eastern towns from Ajdabya to Tobruk, and is seeking to involve people from Tawergha and members of the Warshefana tribe. The turnout will not be as massive as the anti-millitia Save Benghazi protest, said Alshokri, but he hoped efforts to promote the event will result in sizeable crowds.

 

Helicopter requested for aerial distribution of leaflets for Friday rally. (Photo: Libya Needs Justice Facebook)

In Benghazi, the activists petitioned Benina’s Air Base, with a letter for their support and recommended they participate in the aerial distribution of leaflets. Leaflets were dropped from a helicopter belonging to the base on 14 April. Today, a statement released by the Air Force claims that the Chief of Staff of the Air Force and General Chief of Staff, had no prior knowledge that a military plane would be “participating or assisting in political activities and popular movements”. The statement cautioned that the military is an institution that must remain neutral, and be ruled by discipline and protocol. An investigation into the incident will be carried out.

Alshokri said  that on a previous occasion, a helicopter had been used to drop  leaflet over the city, on that occasion for a local NGO, Benghazi Al-Khair. He feared, however, that pressure to investigate his own group’s use of the helicopter, was driven by those who oppose calls for Friday’s rallies, national reconciliation and transitional justice.

Despite the unfavourable attention brought on by the helicopter incident, the activists said they will continue to publicise the call for unity throughout the week. They hope to use 18 April’s Benghazi Carnival as a means to reach more people. The carnival is the inaugural event to celebrate the city’s standing as Libya’s “Culture Capital” for 2013.

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziFriday Libya for AllhelicopterleafletsLibyarallies

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

LAIDEC Dental exhibition opens on Saturday

Demonstrators at Appeal Court want Khatabi’s release

Demonstrators at Appeal Court want Khatabi's release

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.