No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

French embassy bombed

byMichel Cousins
April 23, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
French embassy bombed

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 23 April 2013, 8.30 . . .[restrict]am:

A massive bomb exploded outside the French embassy in Tripoli this morning. “There is enormous destruction,” a French diplomat told the Libya Herald. One security guard has been gravely wounded, he said.

It was initially reported that two had been injured.

The explosion occurred around 7.00 am outside the main entrance.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

Super Novae distributes financial awards to the Mouta’alleq reintegration project trainees

At the time, no one other than the guard was in the building, on the corner of two small streets in the capital’s fashionable Hay Andalus district.

The explosion is believed to have been caused by a car bomb, but according to another diplomat, there is no sign of any wrecked vehicle outside the chancellery entrance. He thought that was because it had been totally destroyed.

Cars parked on the street and in driveways were wrecked (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

The explosion destroyed the outer walls of the embassy complex and parts of the facade of the building. The first floor is destroyed. Ten vehicles parked in the street have been wrecked. Every office in the building has been ruined, the diplomat said.

The blast also brought down the garden walls of two houses opposite the chancellery entrance.  It was strong enough too to blow out windows in buildings in several streets around.

Nearby houses had their windows shattered, and their interiors ruined (Photo: Tom Westcott, Libya Herald)

Two members of the French national assembly are visiting Tripoli at present. Many members of Tripoli’s French community as well as a number of senior Libyan officials had attended a reception last night for  Jacques Myard, the deputy for Yvelines and Mayor of Mainson-Lafitte, and Jean Glavany, a former Agriculture Minister. They were not near the building at the time of the explosion.

So far there is no indication as to who was responsible.  However, Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb has vowed to attack France following its intervention in Mali.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Al-QaedafeaturedFrench embassyLibyaterrorismTripoli

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
French embassy explosion: locals rescued guard

French embassy explosion: locals rescued guard

Embassy blast vehicles caught on security cameras

Embassy blast vehicles caught on security cameras

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.