No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Police clamp down on illegal traders, destroy market stalls

byMichel Cousins
March 16, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Police clamp down on illegal traders, destroy market stalls

Bulldozers remove illegal market shacks in Shara Rashid

By Michel Cousins.

Bulldozers remove illegal market shacks in Shara Rashid

Tripoli, 14 March 2013:

Dozens of illegal street stalls and shacks in Tripoli’s busy Shara Rashid, where the city’s Central . . .[restrict]Market is located, were bulldozed today, Friday, in a bid to clean up the area and enforce planning regulations. The action was ordered by Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail.

The stalls had taken up so much space in the road that traffic in what is a wide street had been reduced to one lane. Often it was at a standstill and backed up into Shara Omar Mukhtar, bringing traffic there to a stop as well. Sometimes it backed up all the way into Martyrs Square and causing traffic jams there too.

The bulldozers, along with municipal police, national police and other law enforcement forces, were sent in at 5 am, before the market opened. They ripped through the corrugated steel shacks, giving no time for stall holders to remove their goods. At least a dozen traders’ vehicles were also crushed in the action. Thirty-one people are reported to have been arrested during the raid.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

Later, stalls in a street near Tripoli Tower were similarly forcibly removed.

Several vehicles were destroyed in the raid

The Ministry says it intends to remove all illegal stalls that have sprung up on the capital’s streets in the absence of planning regulations enforcement since the revolution.

It is not clear yet if the Ministry also intends to demolish the large number of buildings that have also sprung up without planning permission, many with more storeys than was previously allowed and some being built partly on public land.

Today’s move appears to have widespread public support – both because it showed the authorities taking action to ensure law and order and also because it has eased street congestion. “This is very good,” said taxi driver Rida, heading down Shara Rashid today. “Now we can move here.”

This evening there was a procession of vehicles moving along the street to see what had been done. There were still the crushed vehicles to be seen along with the remnants of the stalls, piled up and awaiting removal, but street cleaners were busy tidying up the place.

Just over a month ago, fish stalls at the large roundabout by the port entrance which were blocking traffic were forcibly removed. They have since relocated to the roundabout at the start of the Gargaresh road. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
DNA samples help identify bodies from Bin Jawad mass grave

DNA samples help identify bodies from Bin Jawad mass grave

The Korean Knowledge Sharing Programme with Libya: Can Libya learn from Korea’s experience – from 1950’s conflict to 1990’s development?

The Korean Knowledge Sharing Programme with Libya: Can Libya learn from Korea’s experience - from 1950’s conflict to 1990’s development?

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.