No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ministries of Interior and Defence move to stamp out renegade militias

byNihal Zaroug
March 30, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ministries of Interior and Defence move to stamp out renegade militias

Interior Ministry Ashour Shuwail and Chief of the Armed Forces Yousef Mangoush (Photo: MOI Facebook)

Interior Ministry Ashour Shuwail and Chief . . .[restrict]of the Armed Forces Yousef Mangoush (Photo: MOI Facebook)

Tripoli, 19 March 2013:

Interior Minister Ashour Shuwail and Chief of the Armed Forces Yousef Mangoush, meet in Tripoli on Sunday, 17 March, to visit the premises of the newly formed joint security force, between the Ministry of Interior and Defence.

Speaking to the infantry of the joint force, Shuwail said Libya was entering the most difficult period of its development, that of building a new state based on the rule of law, freedom, human rights and democracy. The state’s authority and legitimacy had to be recognised. He added that Libya was a prosperous and strategically located nation and, to move forward, order and stability had to be restored.

The joint security force represented a commitment to achieve the goals of the revolution, and everyone, including members of the force, had to partake in the rebuilding process, said Shuwail.

The primary objective of the joint force is to secure Tripoli and Benghazi by disbanding militias that remain outside the state’s control and who continue to resist the central government’s orders to cease arbitrary detention, torture and occupation of government and private property.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

According to the Interior Ministry’s Facebook page, what has been dubbed “Operation Tripoli” is now underway. Posted on the website of Al Wataniya TV, in a recent interview, Ministry’ spokesman Magdi Al-Arafi, reported that headway was being made.

Arafi stated that one of the capital’s major militias, previously known as the Artillery Brigade, had been disbanded and its members brought to justice. The renegade brigade was located in the Qasr Ben Gashir area of Tripoli.

Operation Tripoli began on Saturday, 16 March, with an aim to clear an estimated 500 locations around the city of gangs and militias, many of which have set up headquarters on the outskirts of Tripoli on lands and farms belonging to members of the former regime. It has been reported that following the raid on the Artillery Brigade, other militias have voluntarily surrendered.

Last week, illegal street stalls and shacks in Tripoli’s Shara Rashid, were bulldozed as a measure to enforce building regulations, clean up the area and ease unnecessary traffic. More demolition is expected in other areas where street stalls have taken over. The response from the public has largely been positive, as is the announcement that action against militias was finally materializing. [/restrict]

Tags: Ashour ShuwailLibyaTripoli

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Egypt arrests Qaddaf Al-Dam

Nine unidentified bodies found on shore near Sabratha

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.