By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.
Tripoli, 3 March 2013:
A group of families of martyrs have forced their way into the Prime Ministry building . . .[restrict]today, Sunday. There are around 30-35 people, mainly women — mothers of martyrs. One told the Libya Herald she had lost five sons.
The protestors are demanding homes, compensation and other benefits. They have said that they will not leave until their demands are met.
The takeover took place at around 1.30 pm. The demonstrators have occupied the media centre on the ground floor of the building, It has forced the Prime Minister’s press conference, due to take place there this at 4 pm, to relocate to the main meeting room upstairs. It was due to include not just the Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, but also the President of Congress, Mohamed Magarief, as well as the Ministers of Interior (Ashour Shuwail), Defence (Mohamed Barghathi), Electricity (Ali Mohammed Muhairiq) and Health (Nurideen Doghman) as well as the Chief of Staff, Major-General Youself Mangoush.
The takeover is not directly connected with today’s clashes at the General National Congress building where there was a attempt early this morning to eject war-wounded revolutionaries who have been occupying the main chamber for a month. There were initially unconfirmed reports that one of the war veterans was killed in the clashes and two soldiers wounded. This was subsequently denied.
However, those involved in the PM’s Office takeover have indicated to the Libya Herald that they were inspired to action by the war wounded’s action.
Last week, in response to the occupation, Congress voted a substantial package of benefits for revolutionaries who suffered war injuries.