No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

ICC judges demand Senussi be handed over to them

byNigel Ash
February 21, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
ICC judges demand Senussi be handed over to them

The ICC wants Abdullah Senussi handed over

 

The ICC wants Abdullah Senussi tried in the Hague

Tripoli, 7 February 2013:

The Libyan prosecutor-general’s office has described as  “standard procedure” the ruling from the International Criminal Court that Abdullah . . .[restrict]Senussi, be handed over to it, to face charges of crimes against humanity.

Yet the ruling from the pre-trial chamber of the ICC in the Hague, made on Wednesday, but only published today, appears brutally clear. It read that the ICC “orders the Libyan authorities to proceed to the immediate surrender of Mr Senussi to the court.”  It also said: “Libya remains under an obligation to comply with the surrender request.”

Taha Bara, a spokesman for the prosecutor-general, was reported by AFP to have described the court’s demand as “standard procedure”. He pointed out that Libya had filed a request on 23 January, that Senussi’s trial be held in Libya. “Therefore we have eight weeks from that date to complete the file and submit the necessary documentation”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Bara also pointed out that even if the court refused to sanction a Libyan trial for Qaddafi’s brother-in-law and former intelligence chief, the decision could be appealed.

The British lawyer appointed by the ICC to defend Senussi, human rights campaigner Ben Emmerson QC, said after the ruling: “The ICC has ordered an immediate halt to Libya’s unseemly rush to drag Mr. Al-Senussi to the gallows before the law has taken its course.” The Hague judges also ordered Libya to give Emmerson access to his client, which has so far been denied.

Senussi was extradited from Mauritania last September in a deal which was widely rumoured to have involved the payment of $200 million by Libya. Ever since Senussi’s arrest on his return to Libya, the authorities here have insisted that he should face a Libyan court to answer charges of mass-killing and other gross violations of human rights.

Libya’s National Council for Public Liberties and Human Rights this evening said that it was its view that the country’s position on preventing the extradition of its citizens to the ICC is in accordance with the Libyan law.

If Libya is not successful in its appeal against the ICC’s ruling on Senussi, then the stage would seem to be set for a showdown between the ten-year old court and the Libyan government. If the former spy chief is not handed over, then the court can refer the matter to the UN Security Council.

If the UN body chooses to, and that it is a moot point whether agreement could be reached among permanent members with a veto, it has only two punitive measures open to it, according to London lawyer Robert Murtfeld, who is making a close study of the ICC. One would be sanctions and the other would be Chapter VII military intervention, neither of which seems in the least likely.

  [/restrict]

Tags: ICCLibyaSenussi Emmersontrial

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post

Sirte military commander "arrested" by brigade: report

Tobruk arms smugglers escape

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.