No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Bureaucracy keeps medical supplies at port for a year

bythomwestcott
February 13, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Bureaucracy keeps medical supplies at port for a year

The $60,000 medical shipments being loaded in Vancouver (Photo: Wahbi Ghanbour)

By Tom Westcott.

The $60,000 medical shipment being loaded in Vancouver (Photo: Wahbi Ghanbur)

Tripoli, 13 February 2013:

A container full of medical supplies donated to Libyan hospitals by a Canada-based charity has been . . .[restrict]stuck on the side of Tripoli port for nearly a year.

The forty-foot box container holding some $60,000 worth of essential medical supplies arrived in March 2012 but is still waiting for customs clearance.

“It is full of equipment, including ten brand new walkers, 16 wheelchairs and over 100 mattresses,” spokesman for the charity BC Camp for Libya, Wahbi Ghanbur, told the Libya Herald: “I know Libya is desperate for these because we have seen pictures of people sleeping in hallways and on beds with no mattresses.”

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

British Transport Ministry delegation visits Tripoli Port to discuss training

Former Foreign Minister Ashour Bin Kyahal has now got involved and is determined that the container will be released. “I am taking this very seriously,” he told the Libya Herald, “and if there is no progress by next week, I will go down to the port myself.”

Bin Kyahal said that the customs in Tripoli Port had promised to help. “We are trying to get this sorted out as soon as possible,” he said, “and hopefully there will be some progress soon.”

BC Camp for Libya spent four months collecting the equipment and supplies, which were mainly donations. It has now spent nearly a year trying to get these items released from Tripoli Port.

The charity’s Libyan partner is based in Benghazi and he has been dealing with relentless demands from customs. “He has tried his best to get the container out but they have asked for many papers and made many demands,” Ghanbur explained. “He collected all the papers but then they asked for more papers from a medical support organisation, who said the shipment could only come in under their name, but we didn’t want that.”

Ghanbur said BC Camp for Libya had tried everything they could think of to get the container out. Hospitals have apparently even sent letters pleading with customs to release the medical supplies, explaining how desperately they are needed. But the container has still not been cleared.

“We don’t even know if it’s still there now,” Ghanbur said: “We don’t know how things are now but in the past, if not collected after six months, containers would be confiscated.”

The refusal of customs to release the container for the last year has not simply been because of paperwork. Another problem is that some items, such as alcohol swabs, have passed their expiry date.

“Any items that had expired were cleared by Libyan doctors in our community in Canada,” Ghanbur said. He explained that the only items with expired dates were for external use, nothing that would be ingested or otherwise used inside the body.

“There are loads of supplies that haven’t expired, some second-hand equipment and loads of brand new stuff,” said Ghanbur. “But fine, if under Libyan law they don’t want to let expired items into the country, they can just remove the out-of-date stuff, destroy it, and release the rest of the supplies. We just want the stuff to get to the people who really need it.”

Even health ministers have acknowledged the problems faced by Libyan hospitals, which include a lack of equipment.

BC Camp for Libya was established at the start of the revolution by the small ex-patriate community living in Vancouver. After liberation, Ghanbur said, they decided to continue collecting donations and shipping them to Libya to support the country.

It has so far made six separate deliveries of much-needed equipment and supplies, with another new container full of medical equipment just arriving at Benghazi port.

There is, however, understandable frustration that this one container load of equipment has become stuck, and officials seem incapable of freeing it for distribution.

“Everyone here did a lot of work to get this together, so we just don’t understand why they’re holding it,” said Ghanbur. [/restrict]

Tags: CanadahospitalsLibyamedical equipmentTripoli port

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Misrata Airport to operate normally; international flight ban revoked

Benghazi support for 15 February demonstrations growing

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.