No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Joint-Venture air executives held six days in Zawia

byNigel Ash
December 24, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Hadi Fornaji.

Abdulrazagh Zmirli , Medavia MD, under arrest for six days

Tripoli, 24 December:

The boss of  Maltese air services company Medavia and a colleague, have been questioned for six days, . . .[restrict]following their arrest last Tuesday in the VIP lounge of Tripoli Airport,, as they prepared to fly to Malta.

According to the Times of Malta, Abdulrazagh Zmirli, the managing director of the Mediterranean Aviation Company, and the firm’s technical general manager, Abdalla Dekna were detained and taken to Zawia, on the suspicion that they helped the Qaddafi government during the revolution.

There has been some shock in Malta at Zmirli’s arrest.  Indeed, last May,  the executive was ranked “Leader of the Year” in the  Malta-based World Airnews’ aviation awards. The citation said that Zmirli had been a charismatic leader at a time when the company was struggling during the revolution.  Medavia sent flights to evacuate employees of multinational companies and Zmirli was reportedly associated with efforts to send aid to the  rebels.

RELATED POSTS

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Medavia, which began operations in 1979, is a Libyan-Maltese joint venture with the Libya Foreign Investment Company (LAFICO) as a partner.  The business is based in Luqa in Malta and operates eight turboprop aircraft, on both oil field service charters and VIP flights.

According to an online profile,  Zmirli graduated in engineering from Manchester University and then joined LAFICO before leaving to run Medavia.  He has also been a director of the Corinithia Hotels International, another joint venture with LAFICO, which itself, is part of the Libyan Investment Authority

Joe Formosa, Medavia’s  chief financial officer told the Times of Malta: “We are doing everything within our power to have  both men released as soon as possible, while of course respecting the course of law in Libya”.  The paper also reported that a spokesman had said that the Maltese government was aware of the arrest of Zmirli and Dekna, and was  monitoring the situation.

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
GNC members issue statement on “isolation law”

GNC members issue statement on “isolation law”

Tripoli celebrates 61st anniversary of Libyan independence

Tripoli celebrates 61st anniversary of Libyan independence

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.