No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

French naval captain speaks of gladness at post-revolution return to Libya

byGeorge Grant
December 18, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
French naval captain speaks of gladness at post-revolution return to Libya

Saint Julien served on the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle during the revolution. (Photo: George Grant)

By Tom Little.

Saint-Julien served on the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle during the revolution. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 17 December:

The captain of a visiting French warship spoke of his gladness today at returning to Libya for . . .[restrict]the first time since taking part in the campaign against Qaddafi last year.

Captain Olivier de Saint-Julien of the frigate Aconit was in Tripoli for a three-day port call, where he met Libyan navy commander Hassan Boushnak.

Saint Julien took part in NATO’s campaign on the aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

While he had taken been on active service many times before, he said that “taking part in the support of the population of Benghazi in liberating Benghazi, there was an emotional factor that motivated me”.

“We knew we were witnessing a new era,” the officer told the Libya Herald aboard the Aconit.

He was recalled to France during the operation to take command of the frigate Aconit in Toulon, which had itself just returned from active service in the Gulf of Sirte.

“The Aconit cruised off the Libyan coast for several long weeks, ready to extract the French ambassador if Qaddafi loyalists ever got to Benghazi,” Saint-Julien said.

A crack team of navy commandos on board were on standby to rescue the French representative to the National Transitional Council if Benghazi had fallen, he explained.

Given Saint-Julien and his crew’s link with Libya, he said he was very happy to have been able to set foot in Tripoli this time, and his crew had visited Qaddafi’s ruined Bab Al-Aziziyah compound and the old city.

The sailors had even found time to play a football match against a team in Tripoli, and were enthused by the experience in spite of the 5-1 drubbing they received at the hands of the locals.

“I hope to return another time to explore the country properly and to get a better idea of what it’s like,” he said.

However, the visit was also intended as a sign of France’s desire to build bridges with the Libyan navy, and Saint-Julien held talks with Admiral Boushnak and other senior Libyan naval officers.

It had been agreed that two Libyan officers would accompany the Aconit back to port in Toulon today to learn more about navigation and, crucially, boarding procedures, “as the Libyan navy is particularly concerned with illegal fishing in its waters,” Saint-Julien said.

The Libyan delegation also expressed an interest in French technology as it looks to rebuild its shattered fleet, but Saint-Julien could not say whether they would be looking to buy naval hardware from France.

“They want the technology that will best meet their needs,” he said. “But they haven’t said that it will be French.” [/restrict]

Tags: AconitCharles de GaulleLibyaSaint Julien

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post
National army troops exhorted to serve Libya “without an agenda”

National army troops exhorted to serve Libya "without an agenda"

Libyan rights group condemns Jalil’s trial by military court

Libyan rights group condemns Jalil's trial by military court

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.