No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi Local Council to get funding at last

byGeorge Grant
December 20, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Benghazi Local Council to get funding at last

Benghazi Local Council President

By George Grant.

Benghazi Local Council President Mahmoud Abu Raziza. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 19 December:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said that emergency funds would be transferred to the Benghazi Local Council “in . . .[restrict]a matter of hours” on Wednesday evening, following a meeting with the council’s new president Mahmoud Abu Raziza in Tripoli.

Having discussed the state of public services, it was decided “to allocate financial support to Benghazi Local Council as soon as possible”, Zeidan said. “The money for the Benghazi emergency budget will transferred in a matter of hours or a day.”

The move will help alleviate some of the strains on the Council, which has been terminally short of funds since its formation back in May.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

Discussions were also held on the ongoing security crisis in the city, in particular in the wake of Sunday’s deadly attacks on the Benghazi police headquarters.

“We also talked about the budget of 2013” added Raziza, who said that having discussed the emergency situation in the city, “the Prime Minister agreed immediately to financial support to alleviate the suffering in Benghazi.”

Asked by the Libya Herald how much money had been allocated, Zeidan said this was a matter for the council, but the floor was not then offered to Raziza to answer the question.

Last week, councilors Mostafa Sheikhy and Mohamed Al-Mqsbai told this paper that the council had still not received a penny of the LD 241 million emergency budget repeatedly requested under the Kib Government and just LD 16 million out of a total LD 31 million operating budget allocated for 2012.

The men said that the Kib Government had operated a misguided policy of allocating funds only for salaries and expenses whilst refusing to pay for development and reconstruction.

They complained that so desperate had the situation become that they were being forced to use what little funds they had from the operating budget to pay for emergency services.

“We are having difficulties even with that because the auditor cannot approve use of some of the money for emergency situations”, Sheikhy said. “The budget, when it was written, was tasked for specific items, so every time an emergency happens the auditor’s hands are tied. It’s an uphill battle all the time.”

  [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibyaRazizaZeidan

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Libyan Holding Company for Development and Investment sells office buildings in the Tripoli Gate 1 project

Libyan Holding Company for Development and Investment sells office buildings in the Tripoli Gate 1 project

Mitiga Airport cleared of mines

Mitiga Airport cleared of mines

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.