No Result
View All Result
Saturday, May 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Oil Ministry plans to split NOC in two; “unlikely” to placate Benghazi

byGeorge Grant
August 9, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

Oil refinery in Brega. The NOC’s refining activities would be headquartered from Benghazi under the proposal.

Tripoli, 28 November 2012:

The Ministry of Oil is proposing to separate the National Oil Corporation’s exploration and production activities from . . .[restrict]refining, establishing two separate bodies to be respectively headquartered in Tripoli and Benghazi.

The initiative comes a little under two months after a plan to give Benghazi effective responsibility for exploration, production and refining services in eastern Libya was put on hold following protests in Tripoli.

It is believed that the revised proposal is designed to placate oil workers and activists in eastern Libya who want Benghazi to have a greater say in the running of the country’s oil industry.

RELATED POSTS

Libya supplied nearly a quarter of Italy’s total crude oil imports in 2025

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

“In the oil and gas ministry, we have a near-term plan with respect to the [eastern] region,” new Oil Minister Abdelbari Al-Arusi said in a statement on the NOC’s website.

“[The body] will be called the ‘National Corporation for Oil Refining and Petrochemicals Industry’ and will oversee all companies operating in this area. It will launch projects and secure funding for them.”

In Tripoli would be headquartered the ‘National Corporation for the Exploration and Production of Oil and Gas’. The two departments would also have branches in Tripoli and Benghazi respectively, and would be under the Ministry of Oil.

According to the head of the NOC’s oilfield services arm, however, the proposal is unlikely to placate eastern discontent as currently conceived.

“I don’t think Benghazi will accept it”, Mohammed Albadaly, CEO of Jowfe, told the Libya Herald. “They want exploration and production, not refining. There are far fewer commercial activities in downstream, whereas upstream you have drilling, exploration, production, pipelines and so on”.

Albadaly said that the proposal would more likely be accepted by Benghazi if reversed, to give exploration and production responsibility to the east and leave refining in Tripoli, but that fierce resistance is likely to be encountered in the capital either way.

“A lot of the NOC’s employees are older; they have families and they have roots. They don’t want to move and they don’t want to lose their jobs. That’s why there was so much resistance to Decree 100”.

Under Decree 100, the proposal that was previously shelved, the NOC’s hitherto inconsequential Benghazi branch would have been given de facto control over the oil industry in eastern Libya, home to some 80 per cent of the country’s oil fields.

Five departments were to have been established, in the fields of petro-chemicals and refining, exploration and production, human resources, administration and finance. Having only been signed off on 4 October, NOC Resolution 100 was in force for less than a week before being suspended in the face of fierce opposition from staff in Tripoli.

Speaking to the Reuters news agency, Deputy Oil Minister Omar Shakmak described the latest plan as “a matter of reorganisation. We will receive feedback from experts within the oil sector and civil organisations … and upon that, a proposal will be submitted to the government,” he said. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaNOCoil

Related Posts

Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

May 22, 2026
Mellitah Oil and Gas launches its tree planting campaign at El-Feel oil field
Business

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

May 22, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Next Post

Zawia refinery protests produce panic petrol buying in Tripoli

Ambassadors present credentials

Ambassadors present credentials

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.