No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Concerns for safety of Senussi daughter in Libya, says Amnesty International

byGeorge Grant
November 1, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Concerns for safety of Senussi daughter in Libya, says Amnesty International

Anoud Al-Senussi's father, Abdullah, was extradited to Libya from Mauritania on 5 September.

By George Grant.

Anoud Al-Senussi’s father, Abdullah, was extradited to Libya from Mauritania on 5 September. He was one of the most senior members of the Qaddafi regime.

London, 1 November:

Amnesty International has expressed concern for the safety of Anoud Abdallah Al-Senussi, daughter of Muammar Qaddafi’s former . . .[restrict]intelligence chief, following her arrest in a Tripoli hotel on 6 October. She had entered Libya earlier in the day on a forged passport.

Senussi has not had any contact with relatives since 20 October and has been denied access to a lawyer, “raising concerns for her safety”, Amnesty said.

“She is understood to have been accused of using a forged passport and entering the country on a forged document, a crime under Article 350 of the Libyan Penal Code”, the rights group continued. “If convicted, she would face up to five years in prison.” The passport in question is understood not to have included her last name.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Senussi was due to appear before a Tripoli court on 21 October, but was not taken there by the prison authorities.

Amnesty wrote to the General Prosecutor, the Minister of Interior and the Minister of Justice on 8 October, around the time reports of her arrest went public, requesting them to clarify her legal status and to protect her from torture or other ill-treatment.

The organisation received no response, although there is no evidence that Senussi has suffered any mistreatment to date.

Reports that Anoud Senussi had entered Libya and been arrested were greeted with some skepticism at the time, given the risks such a move would entail when her father is facing trial and the possible death penalty for alleged crimes committed under the former regime. Abdullah Senussi is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on two charges of Crimes Against Humanity committed during the revolution.

Senussi was extradited to Libya from Mauritania on 5 September. He had been under house arrest there since March, having previously fled to Morocco following the collapse of the Qaddafi regime last year.

Libya has accused him of various crimes committed both before and during last year’s pro-democracy uprising. Most notoriously, he has been held responsible 1996 Abu Salim prison massacre, in which some 1,200 inmates were killed following an attempted breakout.

The former intelligence chief has also been implicated in various international crimes including the downing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in 1988, which killed 270 people, and the downing of a UTA airliner over Niger the following year, in which 170 died.

France, which also has a warrant outstanding for Senussi’s arrest, convicted him in absentia to life imprisonment in 1999 in connection with the Niger bombing.

Earlier this year, Adel Almansouri, one of the Libyan students shot outside the Libyan Embassy in London in 1984, told this paper that Senussi may well hold answers to the killing of WPC Yvonne Fletcher. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSenussi

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

First Italy-Libya voyage for Med Cross Lines

Forestation project planned

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.