No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE – Three Misrata men kidnapped by Bani Walid freed following Magarief intervention

byMichel Cousins
September 11, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
UPDATE – Three Misrata men kidnapped by Bani Walid freed following Magarief intervention

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab.

Tripoli, 10 September:

Three men from Misrata . . .[restrict]held prisoners in Bani Walid were freed today following the intervention of the president of the General National Congress, Mohamed Magarief.

Two of the three arrived back in Misrata with Magarief this afternoon, according to the GNC’s official spokesman Omar Humaidan, speaking at a press conference this evening. Because of his condition, the third man, who has since been named as Imran Juma Shaban, required to be moved by ambulance and would remain overnight in Bani Walid, Humaidan said. A helicopter would be sent to take him back to Misrata tomorrow.

Humaidan did not disclose the nature or cause of the man’s ailments nor did he name any of the three. The other two have been since been named as Mohamed Assira and Abdul-Aziz Harous.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Three other Misratis remain held in Bani Walid.

Magarief’s move to free all six followed a protest by people from Misrata outside the Congress’ headquarters next to Tripoli’s Rixos Hotel. They had set up tents and blocked the road.

The protest started on Saturday when a convoy of vehicles from Misrata arrived late in the morning in Tripoli. The protestors claimed that the government had done nothing to obtain the men’s freedom.

One of the six, Imran Juma Shaban, was abducted on 12 July, just before Ramadan, according to his brother Ali. He had been kidnapped with his companion, he said, as they returned home from a mission on which they had been sent by the Chief of Staff Yusuf Mangoush during the clashes between the Mashasha and Zintan. He said that as they were returning, passing near Bani Walid, they were intercepted by cars, shot at and then seized.

A week later, according to Ali, the kidnappers contacted the two families to demand a ransom. However, they then changed their minds and phoned back demanding that the families support an exchange of the two for a number of detainees from Bani Walid and Tripoli held in Misrata and supposedly belonging to Qaddafi’s Brigade 32. It is better known as the Khamis Brigade.

It was reported that the two kidnapped men were among those involved in the capture of Qaddafi in Sirte before he was killed.

Imran was in very poor health, his brother claimed, as a result of being tortured and a gunshot wound. The family, he said, had been informed that he was paralysed from the waist down. They had asked the kidnappers to send him abroad for treatment at their own expense but they had refused. When they asked them to take another family member in Imran’s place, that had also been refused, Ali said.

He stated also that Assira and Harous were kidnapped on the same day by Bani Walid forces as Imran and his colleague.

According to the protestors outside the Congress building, the other two Misratis, named as Mohamed Shamat and Ali Abu-Shaala, were seized on the first day of Eid. They were said to be taking an elderly woman back to her home in Bani Walid.

According to Ali, it has been agreed that the Shamat, Abu-Shaala and Imran’s colleague will be released next week.

As I approached the protestors to talk to them, it was clear that they were suspicious of me. They asked for proof of identity as a journalist. When asked why they were suspicious, they said that after arriving in Tripoli on Saturday they had been approached by a number of people who told them that they were reporters and who started taking photos of the Bani Walid people who had joined the protest alongside the people of Misrata.

These pictures, they said, had been sent to Bani Walid and there had been reprisals against family members of the Bani Walid protestors who sympathised with Misrata abductees’ families.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Mangoush in Turkey

Libyan prosecutor says payout to Lockerbie victims “a waste of public money”

Libyan prosecutor says payout to Lockerbie victims “a waste of public money”

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.