No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya denounces ambassador’s killing

byMichel Cousins
September 12, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Libya denounces ambassador’s killing

Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib and Congress President Mohamed Magarief at the press conference today

By Michel Cousins.

Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib and Congress President Mohamed Magarief at the press conference today

Tripoli, 12 September:

Libya today denounced the killing of  US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other US embassy staff.

Speaking at . . .[restrict]a joint press conference in Tripoli, both Prime Minister Abdurrahman El Kib and Mohamed Magarief, president of the General National Congress, expressed sorrow for what they called “a criminal act”.

“We apologise to the American people and to the whole world” for what had happened, Magarief said. He extended Libya’s condolences “to the US government and people” for the death of the ambassador.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

Despite the enormity of the event, it would not delay this evening’s planned election of a new prime minister by Congress.  It would go ahead, said Magarief.

The attack on the Benghazi mission and the death of the ambassador occurred on the 11th anniversary of 9/11 and the possibility of a link was raised by the Congress president.  “What happened yesterday coincided with 9/11”, he said, adding: “We reject entirely the use of our territory for such operations.”

It also coincided with “other events” in the country that were designed, he said, “to destroy democracy in Libya”.  He was seen as referring to the recent attacks by Salafists on  mosques and Sufi shrines across the country. Yesterday’s attack on the US mission was also carried out by Salafists. Al Ansar Al-Sharia, a militant and armed Salafist group were said to be involved.

Magarief called on Libyans to stand united against such threats. The Libyan people, he said, would not allow the revolution to be “stolen or threatened” by such people.

He said that security would be intensified at embassies and for foreign companies operating in Libya. A new joint unit between the GNC and the government would also be set up to monitor security in the country, he announced.

No details of the actual events of last night or how Ambassador Stevens was killed or the nationalities of those who were injured were disclosed by either the prime minister or the president of Congress. Kib said these would be announced after investigations.

Asked by Libya Herald what action was being taken to prevent future attacks by those responsible for the Ambassador’s death, as well as the attacks on the mosques, Kib said that there was no evidence at the moment that the two were connected, and that it needed investigation.

As to how this will affect Libya’s relations with the US, Magarief said he had been assured by Washington that it was “standing side by side” with Libya in the face of such criminality.

Earlier in the day, at a press conference in Benghazi, Wanis Al-Sharif, the deputy interior minister responsible for eastern Libya, who yesterday said that no one was in the consulate when it was stormed, claimed that the protests had been peaceful until US security guards started shooting at them, but also said that those responsible for the attack were Qaddafi loyalists.

His comments have created considerable anger in the Libyan media; reporters at the Prime Minister’s press conference said they were tired of hearing an excuse that was “designed to cover up the security forces’ incompetence”.  As Sharif’s Qaddafi loyalist theory,, Prime Minister Kib said that some members of the Qaddafi regime could be involved.

Members of Congress are also angry at Sharif’s statement.  Congressman Salah Ajouda Jawdah said on TV that it was “ridiculous”. He added that following an event like this, both the defence minister and interior minister should immediately resign.

Also unimpressed were the corps of ambassadors who were called to a meeting this afternoon at Tripoli’s Mahari Hotel to be briefed by the foreign minister Ashour Bin Khayal.  They too were told about plans to increase security but “it was just blah, blah blah”, said one ambassador. Others said there were no details on what had actually happened in Benghazi, and no indication that the government was going to go after the perpetrators.

“It is a catastrophe,” more than one ambassador said. “No-one is going to have any confidence in the country or want to come here.  I’m not going to be able to get any of my ministers to come here now”.

The other three men who died of Tuesday’s attack have not been named, although Libyan officials and diplomats say two of them were US security guards.

There remains confusion as to how Stevens died. It is being reported that he was asphyxiated by smoke. However the Libya Herald has seen pictures of his body which are circulating on the internet.  There were bruises and blood on the head and seemingly on the torso. These are not consistent with suffocation. [/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
PM vote to go ahead as planned

PM vote to go ahead as planned

US-Libya businessmen mourn Stevens

US-Libya businessmen mourn Stevens

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.