No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Interior Ministry offers explanation over failure to prevent Sufi shrine destruction

byGeorge Grant
October 23, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

Tripoli, 26 August 2012:

The Interior Ministry has sought to explain its failure to prevent the destruction of Tripoli’s Al-Sha’ab shrine . . .[restrict]yesterday, saying that it did not want to risk violence by intervening.

The shrine, one of the most important Sufi mosques in Tripoli and resting place of the holy man Sidi Al-Sha’ab, was attacked by Salafists yesterday morning.

A digger then moved in to finish the demolition, overseen by personnel from the Interior Ministry’s Supreme Security Committee.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Little more than a day earlier, one of Libya’s most important Sufi shrines, that of the Sidi Abdul-Salam Al-Asmar Al-Fituri in Zliten, was badly damaged following clashes that left at least three people dead.

National Congress Speaker Mohammed Magarief announced yesterday that the Prime Minister, the Defence Minister and the Interior Minister, along with the army Chief of Staff, were to be questioned about their handling of the incidents.

“The Ministry of Interior’s Undersecretary, Omar Khadrawi, explained that they could not solve this problem by resorting to force”, Suleiman Zubi, a National Congress member from Benghazi, told the Libya Herald.

“He denied that the Interior Ministry had authorised the demolition of the shrine in Tripoli, but said the SSC were deployed to prevent any fighting between those carrying out the demolition and anyone who wanted to stop them”.

Today, a group of no more than 30 unarmed protesters succeeded in preventing further demolition by simply moving onto the site and preventing the digger from continuing.

Yesterday, Reuters reported that the Interior Ministry had authorised the operation following allegations that people had been worshipping at the tomb buried beneath the shrine and practicing “black magic”.

Nobody at the Interior Ministry was available for comment.

The apparent failure of the responsible officials to prevent the destruction has drawn widespread criticism across Libya, with many younger people expressing their anger on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter.

Yesterday, a senior government minister who asked to remain anonymous told the Libya Herald that there had been calls from inside the Congress to sack both the Interior Minister and the Defence Minister.

“That decision was put on hold because the government only has at most two more weeks before its term expires”, the minister said. [/restrict]

Tags: LibyaSSCSufi

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Libya's Paralympic ambitions show major funding issues for disabled sport

Interior Minister resigns

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.