No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Turkish push for Libya contracts angers local firms

byGeorge Grant
June 17, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Nihal Zaroug.

Tripoli, 16 June:

Turky’s economy minister, Zafer Caglayan was in Tripoli on 10 June to meet with NTC Chairman Mustafa . . .[restrict]Abdul Jalil and to inaugurate a series of reconstruction projects undertaken by Turkish companies free of charge. This was Caglayan’s fourth visit to Libya, and he remarked that with each visit “Libya is getting better”.

Turkey was one of the first countries to re-open it embassy in Libya, and it has been amongst the most forward-leaning countries when it has come to pressing for business contracts in post-Qaddafi Libya. Turkey had one of the biggest presences at the Libya Build trade fair in April, with dozens of companies spread across two large pavilions.

Last Sunday, at the Nasr Forest conference hall located near the NTC headquarters, the Turkish delegation gave a presentation to NTC members on some of the recent work completed by Turkish companies. Caglayan highlighted the progress in re-establishing and maintaining police stations and health facilities and said these works were a testament to the good relationship between Libya and Turkey. He also said that Turkey had been with Libya since the beginning of the revolution and intended to stand with Libya in its economic and industrial development.

RELATED POSTS

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

While speaking at the opening ceremony for the Tajoura Central School renovation project —  a ceremony intended to symbolise all the projects undertaken by the Turkish companies — Caglayan said “the heart that beats in Tripoli is the same in Istanbul and Ankara.”  The ceremony was attended by Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abu Shagour, who was thankful for Turkey’s role in the revolution, and Economy Minister Ahmed Al-Kochli.

Both economy ministers assured Turkish companies who had previously worked in Libya that they would be paid their outstanding dues and that Libya was eager for the return of Turkish investment.

It is said that Turkey’s keenness to be part of Libya’s future development has rubbed some local contractors the wrong way.

“We don’t have the money to do projects free of charge, the Turks are being clever and are ensuring their stake in future contracts by doing these projects for free,” protested one local contractor, adding that his previous experience working with Turkish contractors had been dfficult. He alleged that Turkish contractors had in the past, like many other foreign contractors, partnered with Libyan companies who had little construction experience to ensure control over projects. In addition, he felt foreign contractors were unwilling to hire local labourers, rather they brought labourers from their home countries. He acknowledged that Libya lacked skilled labourers, but claims he always tried to “hire locals before looking for foreigners…we have capable workers and some need on the job training. If we only bring outsiders to do Libyan jobs, what will Libyans do?”

The contractor’s claims are not unfounded. The government has not announced any future programmes to train Libyans as skilled labourers. With all the new infrastructure that Libya intends to build, one would presume that training Libyans would be a starting point in achieving a long-term solution. However, the government’s priority has been to source foreigners to come to Libya for work.

According to data collected in 2010, Libya is the only Arab country were male unemployment is higher than female unemployment. Unquestionably, Libyan men would rather work in construction than not work at all. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

May 22, 2026
Mellitah Oil and Gas launches its tree planting campaign at El-Feel oil field
Business

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

May 22, 2026
Mitiga airport closure to continue due to militia fighting
Business

Malta Civil Aviation Authority’s Security Department visits Tripoli’s Mitiga airport with view to restarting flights

May 22, 2026
Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports
Business

Minister of Economy visits Tripoli Port – discusses accelerating goods processing time to reduce cost of imports

May 22, 2026
Tripoli Chamber invites investment proposals for its buildings
Business

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

May 21, 2026
Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91
Business

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

May 21, 2026
Next Post
Libya’s UN chief calls for end to Kufra and Zintan-Shagiga conflicts, stresses need to address root causes

Libya's UN chief calls for end to Kufra and Zintan-Shagiga conflicts, stresses need to address root causes

European parliament representative speaks of "incredible optimism" for Libya's future

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.