No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisian war of words on Mahmoudi extradition continues

byMichel Cousins
June 9, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tunisian war of words on Mahmoudi extradition continues

Tunisian president Moncef Marzouki

Tripoli, 8 June:

Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali has said that Tunisia will stand by its decision to extradite former prime minister Baghdadi . . .[restrict]al-Mahmoudi to Libya.

“The decision to hand over Mr. Mahmoudi is irrevocable,” he said today, Thursday.  His statement is seen as a response to a statement from Tunisian President Moncef Marzouki yesterday said that regardless of what the Jebali’s government had agreed with Libya he would not sign an agreement to extradite Mahmoudi.

Constitutionally, the decision rests with the Tunisian president, not the government, which explains why, despite the apparent firmness of his words, the prime minister did not give a date for the extradition.

Speaking on Tunisia’s Hannibal TV channel on Thursday, Marzouki said that Libya had the right to demand the extradition and that he had been under pressure of the issue, but while there remained a chance that Mahmoudi might be tortured or executed in Libya, he would not sign. He said that for him it was a matter of principle.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Tunisian president Moncef Marzouki

Tunisian concerns about the fairness and outcome of a Mahmoudi trial in Libya have continued to block the extradition, approved by the Tunisian Court of Appeal in November. However, at the end of May, Tunisian Justice Minister Noureddine Bhiri announced that an agreement had been reached with Libya and that Mahmoudi would to be extradited. But this was immediately rebutted by presidential spokesman, Adnen Manser who said the prisoner would not be handed over if his life was thought to be in danger.

Earlier, because of those concerns, Tunisia set up a commission to investigate the integrity of the present Libyan judicial system in respect of a Mahmoudi trial.  It has been to Libya and is due to publish its findings soon. Last week, Tunisian Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali also said that the Libyan authorities had provided guarantees regarding the rights and treatment of Mahmoudi.  However, President Marzouki yesterday insisted that the report would not alter his views and that, as things stood, he would not sign the extradition order.

Marzouki did indicate, nevertheless, that once there was an elected government in Libya, the situation could be different.  His spokesman, however, said that the commission’s visit to Libya was merely the first and that others would occur before a report was published.

Mahmoudi is wanted in Libya on charges of financial corruption during the Qaddafi period and incitement to rape Libyan women during the 17 February revolution. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
UAE engineering firm looking for oil work

UAE engineering firm looking for oil work

Qataris wanting to buy into Libyana mobile network ?

Qataris wanting to buy into Libyana mobile network ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.