No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisian Consulate in Benghazi attacked

byMichel Cousins
June 19, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tunisian Consulate in Benghazi attacked

The consulate was allegedly stormed by Salafist gunmen

By Michel Cousins. 

Tripoli, 18 June:

The consulate was allegedly stormed by Salafist gunmen

The Tunisian consulate in Benghazi was attacked this evening, Monday, by demonstrators from the Salafist group Ansar . . .[restrict]Al-Sharia (Soldiers of the Sharia). There were reports of explosions and gunfire.

The Salfists said they had acted because of attacks by Tunisian artists against Islam. It also claimed it had found pictures of ousted Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in the consulate.

It is reported that the Tunisian flag was ripped down in the attack.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Islamist accused of assassinating four in US Benghazi Consulate in 2012 arrives under arrest in Washington DC

LBC Eastern Branch holds Benghazi Forum

Sources at the Supreme Security Commission have confirmed the incident, saying that “an Islamic group” had attacked the Tunisian consulate. However, it had moved to contain the attack and said that no one had entered the building. It also denied reports that shots were fired. It said no one had been injured, no serious damage was done and that the demonstrators had withdrawn. However, an hour after the statement, at midnight, shots were still being heard in the area. Locals reported that the “security level is very high”.

Last week, one person was killed and over 100 injured in riots across Tunisia after a preacher in the town of Zitouna called on people to kill a number of Tunisian artists whom he said had insulated Islam.

The imam, Sheikh Hocine Labadi, was referring to an exhibition in the Tunis suburb of La Marsa where, among other displays, artists had presented a naked women being eyed by fundamentalists and the word “Allah” spelled out by line of ants. As a result, militants attacked the exhibition as well as police stations, political party offices and government buildings in a number of towns, setting some on fire. In response, other Tunisians took up arms to protect their areas from the Salafists.

The imam has since been banned by Tunisia’s Ministry of Religious Affairs from preaching anywhere in the country for inciting murder.

Ansar Al-Sharia organised an armed rally in Benghazi 11 days ago demanding the full implementation of Sharia law in the country.

There is a similarly named Salafist group in Tunisia. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedTunisia

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Cypriot doctors arrive

Taylor could be released if ICC issues apology to Libyan government

Taylor could be released if ICC issues apology to Libyan government

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.