No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Foreign NGOs ordered out of Sirte

byMichel Cousins
June 13, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 11 June:

Foreign NGOs operating in Sirte have pulled out after being told to leave by the town’s military council. Although . . .[restrict]issued by the military council, the order is said to have come from the Ministry of Interior.

NGOs say that they have been told to provide details of their operations, and will not be allowed to continue work in Sirte until they do so. It is understood that some of the NGOs have taken objection to the intrusive nature of the questions.

There have been only a handful of foreign NGOs working in Sirte, Qaddafi’s hometown which he expanded and named as Libya’s capital after he fled Tripoli last August. Most of them are involved in demining operations.  As a result of the order, MAG (Mining Advisory Group), Danish Demining Group, FSD (Swiss Foundation for Mine Action) and Handicap International have left the town according to a demining coordinator. However he said that discussions with the military council and other Libyan officials were due to take place tomorrow, Tuesday, to resolve the issue and so enable the organisations back into Sirte.

“The situation is very tricky” said another foreign NGO official who did not want to be named but confirmed receiving the pullout demand.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

An official from the Interior Ministry confirmed the order.  However, he said that only “unregistered” foreign NGOs working in Sirte had been told to leave.  He said that because they had not registered, what they were doing was illegal and not in Libya’s interests.  He said that Libya was a state of law and those laws had to be recognized.

A spokesman at the Ministry of Culture and Civil Society which is the body that registers foreign NGOs said that he knew nothing about the order.  “It’s very weird,” he said.

A member of one foreign NGO who likewise did not want to be named said there were suspicions that the real reason for the order was that the military council did not want foreign eyes seeing what was going on in the town where security has become a serious issue.

Sirte has witnessed a spate of killings and kidnappings in recent weeks. A week ago, five  members of the town’s military police were abducted from their  headquarters. On Thursday night, a local man named as Abdel Qader Madani, was assassinated.  He was said to be connected to the Military Council.  He was shot in a residential area by an unknown assailant who then drove off at high speed.

Late last month, seven members of the Sirte Revolutionary Brigade were killed when its headquarters were attacked.

The NGO official added that Sirte Military Council were also thought to be uncomfortable with the fact that many demining experts were foreign ex-military personnel who, because of their work, could wander around what is a militarily sensitive area without its knowledge.

Sirte was devastated in the street-by-street fighting during last main battle of the revolution in October when Qaddafi was finally caught and killed.  Since then most of the population have left.  Costs of rebuilding Sirte have been estimated to run into tens of  billions of dinars. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Libya’s defeat of Cameroon in qualifiers for 2014 World Cup delights the country

Calls for SSC abolition

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.