No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Saif refuses to appoint lawyers

byMichel Cousins
May 17, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 17 May:

Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi is refusing to appoint a lawyer to defend him against charges of torture and murder committed . . .[restrict]during last year’s uprising against his father’s 42-year rule.

In April, Saif insisted he wanted to defend himself in any trial, like the former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic at his trial in The Hague. It is not clear whether this latest refusal is consistent with that intention, or part of an attempt to disrupt efforts to begin his trial inside Libya. Libyan law forbids any criminal trial to take place where the defendant does not have legal representation.

Saif Al-Islam held in Zintan

Addressing the UN Security Council on Wednesday, Libya’s Deputy Ambassador to the UN, Ibrahim Dabbashi, said that Saif’s refusal to hire a lawyer would not obstruct the trial. “There are no obstacles towards hiring an attorney to defend him”, Dabbashi said.

This incident comes amid ongoing questions, mainly outside the country, about whether Libya can deliver a fair trial of Saif Qaddafi, and corresponding calls for any trial to be handled by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague.

RELATED POSTS

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Under the ICC’s own rules, it has no jurisdiction in a case unless the country where a crime took place cannot or will not try those involved.  The latter is not in question: Libya clearly wants to put Saif on trial.  It is now down to a question of ability.  The ICC and its supporters say that Libya is not able to put Saif on trial, at least not a fair trial.

For its part, the Libyan government has repeatedly rebutted accusations that a fair trial cannot be conducted inside Libya and insists that Saif will be tried here.

Libya has yet to outline to the ICC how it intends to try Saif. If the ICC concludes that Libya cannot or will not give him a fair trial, and is not cooperating with the court, then it could theoretically refer Libya to the UN Security Council.

However, the ICC’s chief prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo has repeatedly hinted that the ICC will not object to the trial taking place inside Libya so long as the ICC is properly consulted and the trial can be shown to be free and fair.

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Qaddafi property on Italian island seized

Qaddafi property on Italian island seized

Bagpipers, parachutists and the “Sound of the Ship Cyrene” herald the reopening of the Tripoli National Museum

Bagpipers, parachutists and the "Sound of the Ship Cyrene" herald the reopening of the Tripoli National Museum

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.