No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya and Niger takes steps to improve relations

byMichel Cousins
May 6, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Libya and Niger takes steps to improve relations

NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil and Niger's Prime Minister (Photo: NTC)

Tripoli, 5 May:

Niger’s Prime Minister Brigi Rafini made a surprise visit to Tripoli on Friday, to meet with NTC chairman Mustafa . . .[restrict]Abdul Jalil. It is reported that the two sides negotiated a number of issues, notably border security, the restoration of normal relations and the fate of Saadi Qaddafi.

NTC Chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil and Niger's Prime Minister Brigi Rafini (Photo: NTC)

Relations have been strained over Niger’s decision, first, to provide sanctuary to Saadi and then over its refusal to accede to two Libyan demands that it hand him over.

In February, NTC leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil said that relations could never be normalised with neighbouring countries while they refused to hand over major Qaddafi regime figures.

Niger then warned its citizens not to travel to Libya, claiming that there had been a number of attacks against them in the country.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

Libyan Railroads preparing economic feasibility studies with Italy’s ITALFERR for Chad-Niger rail link

In March, however Jalil announced that only the current lack of an extradition treaty was hindering efforts to have Saadi handed over by the Niger government.

“We have talked with the Niger authorities about the extradition of Saadi Qaddafi and a number of his associates, and they are willing to hand him over. But unfortunately no extradition treaty exists between us,” he said at the time.  However, he disclosed that ministerial talks were under way between the two countries to put such a treaty in place.

Yesterday, he said that the Libyan-Nigerien relations on close bonds of tribal kinship and links that overlapped the two countries’ borders.  Protecting and securing those borders, however, was in the interests of both states. He also said there was a duty to ensure a decent standard of living for residents of the common border region and help development there.

There was no mention, however, of an extradition treaty. Jalil simply renewed his call for the government of Niger to immediately hand over Saadi and other members of the former regime.

For his part, Rafini spoke of Niger’s solidarity with Libya and its support for the revolution. Stability in Libya meant stability in Niger, he said.

He said the two countries needed to cooperate on development and set up joint projects between the two countries. He called on Libya to address the situation of some Nigeriens in jail in Libya, accused of committing crimes.

In the evening he attended a dinner hosted by Libyan Prime Minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib as as well as the ministers of economy, higher education, labour, transportation, and local government, members of the NTC, and other officials.

 

 

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredJalilLibyaniger

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Ghadames airport officially reopened

Ghadames airport officially reopened

Agro-Libya Food and Fishing Fair opens tomorrow

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.