No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ukraine insists its citizens are innocent

byMichel Cousins
April 12, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ashraf Abdul Wahab

Tripoli, April 12

The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said that the 20 Ukrainian citizens being tried in Libya on charges . . .[restrict]of being mercenaries working for Qaddafi’s regime are innocent. It says that it is working on their release.

Russia’s Interfax news agency reported Ukrainian Foreign Ministry spokesman Oleh Voloshyn saying: “We believe that our citizens are innocent”. He added that the Ukrainians “assert their innocence and say they came to Libya to work in the oil sector, adding that they may have violated the Libyan immigration laws and that this is considered a minor offense”.

Another Ukrainian Foreign Ministry official, Oleksandr Dykusarov, confirmed to AFP that Ukraine was making every effort to obtain the Ukrainians’ release and that the trial which in Tripoli had been suspended temporarily following Monday’s hearing to allow the four Libyan lawyers defending them access to their files. The trial is scheduled to resume next Monday.

RELATED POSTS

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

One-Stop Shop system for company registration to be activated – again!

Voloshyn said that even if the Ukrainians were convicted in Libya, Kiev would seek to bring them back to Ukraine to spend their sentences.

Libyan army spokesman Colonel Ali Sheikhi said that the Ukrainians were being accused of setting-up of surface-to-air missile launch platforms to target international coalition aircraft during last year’s military campaign.  He added that other charges were brought against them for assisting the Qaddafi regime quell the revolution and attack Libyan civilians through their work as mercenaries for Qaddafi and his brigades.

He said that most of the defendants were ex-military experts who had worked in Qaddafi’s brigades prior to the revolution. Some, he said, had retired but were brought back after the start of outbreak of the February 17 Revolution.

Ukraine, like Russia and Belarus, used to have strong ties with the former regime and when the conflict started last year it was estimated that there were about 1,500 Ukrainians working in Libya.

 

Tweet
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Next Post

US Trade and Investment delegation to visit Tripoli and Benghazi

Libyan Military Clothing Exhibition April 21-23

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

One-Stop Shop system for company registration to be activated – again!

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.