No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Russia edging back to Libya business ?

byNigel Ash
April 13, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli: April 12

Vladimir Putin has indicated that Libya and Russia may be in the early stages of restoring commercial ties, ruptured . . .[restrict]by the Kremlin’s opposition to NATO’s Libyan intervention and Russian support for the Assad regime in Syria.

Answering parliamentary questions in his last appearance as prime minister, president-elect told legislators:“The new Libyan authorities have sent signals that they would be interested in maintaining economic ties with Russia.”

Officials in Moscow have estimated that the country has faced losses in excess of $4 billion on contracts made with the Qaddafi regime. These are principally in connection with weapons supplies and railroad construction, as well as oil and gas investments, mainly by Gazprom.

Libya-Russia relations were further soured by the February attack on the Russian embassy building in Tripoli by ex-patriate Syrians and Libyan supporters. The main building was entered and the rooftop Russian flag was torn down and replaced with the Free Syrian colours. The government promised an investigation into the incident, in which no arrests were made and where the attackers left peacefully after some hours. The Russians have yet to be told about either the progress or outcome of that enquiry.

RELATED POSTS

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

It was notable that Putin did not mention the issue of compensation for losses incurred by Russia contractors, as a result of their evacuation during the fighting. Libyan government sources indicated last month that China by contrast, has made compensation and an immediate settlement of outstanding payments a pre-condition of any return to the $ 19 billion portfolio of projects it had been awarded by the old regime.

Reporting Putin’s parliamentary appearance, the Russian news channel Rianovosti noted that Libyan prime minister Abdurrahim Al-Kib had made no secret of his dissatisfaction with the Kremlin. It reported him as saying last month that Libya was dissatisfied with Russia’s stance on the uprising: “Are we willing to see Russians in Libya again?…Yes, probably, if those contracts do not benefit the deposed regime and have no ties with it. Will we extend Russian contracts? Theoretically, yes, but only after we study them and confirm that they are in line with the legislation and are not blemished by corruption.”

For his part, Putin told his parliamentarians that he thought that Russia’s fundamental interests were to a large extent similar to those of countries in the Middle East.

“I have no doubts,” he said, ”that we will move to new forms, new horizons and new levels of cooperation.”

He added that in his view, the best way to achieve this was to develop Russia’s own economy, so that cooperation with Russia became “attractive” and did not depend on “regime changes in any countries.”

Tweet
[/restrict]

Related Posts

CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

May 18, 2026
Economy Minister Hwej reviews his ministry’s implementation of its 2023 plan and issues several directives
Business

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

May 18, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

May 17, 2026
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

May 17, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

Numisma Bank pledges to supply record amounts of cash dollars to the Central Bank of Libya in its Second Phase of cash injection to the Libyan market

May 17, 2026
Next Post

A new line in the sand: The authorities and the thuwar – going their separate ways?

Government bullish about integrity of Saif trial; promises elections will be on time.

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.