Benghazi, April 10
A conference on the transition from . . .[restrict]wartime to peacetime journalism opens tomorrow in Benghazi. Organised by Canal France International (CFI) in partnership with the Benghazi Media Center and the newspaper Arous Al-Bahr, the two-day event at the city’s Tibesti Hotel is expected to draw more than a hundred participants from across Libya.
Entitled “Du journalism de guerre au journalisme de paix”, the bilingual conference, the first of its type, will include a number of French media figures. The aim is to help build new media skills in Libya.
FCI says that Libya’s new generation of reporters, photographers, bloggers and the like who helped in making last year’s revolution are hugely motivated and with multiple skills, and that they have high expectations in terms of training. It says the conference is a first step in aiding the process.
The program is structured around six sessions:
- War reporting
- The Libyan media landscape
- From journalist citizen to citizen journalist
- Ethics and Conduct
- Traditional Media, New Media
- The foundations of a free media landscape
The numerous French and Libyan participants will include: Jerome Bony (France Television), Perdita Nabbous (Libya Alhurra Live Streaming Website), Mohammed Taleb (Libya TV), Maleek Elhasee (AlKalima), Randa Habib (AFP), Sylvie Kauffmann (Le Monde), Antoine Cormery (France 24), Rajab Benghuzzi (Al-Asima TV) and Ahmad Ali Balras (Arous Al-Bahr)