No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Investigations into Musa Sadr’s death continuing

byMichel Cousins
January 14, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Investigations into Musa Sadr’s death continuing

Musa Sadr

Tripoli, 15 April 2012:

Investigations are continuing into whether remains found in a mass grave recently discovered in Tajoura are those of the . . .[restrict]missing Lebanese cleric, Imam Musa Sadr.

On Wednesday, Libyan government spokesman Nasser Al-Mana said that remains discovered at the grave were being transferred to a Tripoli hospital for DNA testing and that it was possible that they could belong to Sadr.

However, on Friday, the NTC’s spokesman Mohammed Al-Hareizi said that there was not proof as yet that the remains were those of Sadr.

The Iranian-born Lebanese Shiite cleric disappeared along with Sheikh Mohammed Yaacoub and journalist Abbas Badreddine, on August 31, 1978 while on a trip to Libya.  They had been invited to Tripoli by Qaddafi. It has long been rumored that all three were murdered on Qaddafi’s orders following a row between the two men over religious matters in which is was said Sadr accused Qaddafi of being “an infidel”.

RELATED POSTS

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sadr announced before he left Lebanon that he was traveling to Libya to meet with Qaddafi.

Last Sunday, Lebanon’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Adnan Mansour, flew to Tripoli for talks with Libyan officials on the fate of the three men.

Since then it has been reported here that, according to witnesses who were with Sadr prior to his disappearance, the last sighting of him was in Tajoura.

It has also been claimed in Tripoli today that Qaddafi-era documents reveal that he was murdered by Qaddafi.

There has been a mountain of speculation about the Sadr mystery in recent months.  Last September, following the discovery of a secret morgue in Tripoli containing the frozen remains of a number of Qaddafi’s long dead victims, it was rumoured that one of the bodies was that of the journalist Badreddine. However, DNA tests proved inconclusive.

At the time of his disappearance, the regime claimed that the three men had left Tripoli-Libya on the evening of 18th August 1978 on an Alitalia flight bound for Italy.

It was confirmed that Imam Sadr’s suitcases were found with suitcases belonging to Sheikh Yaacoub in the Holiday Inn in Rome, however an extensive Italian judiciary investigation into the case ended with a final judgment made by the Appeals Prosecutor judge in Rome on 12 August 1979 for the case to be closed after they concluded that Sadr and his two companions never arrived in Italy. The Italian deputy Attorney-General reviewed the case and asserted that they had never left Libya.

Imam Musa Al-Sadr was the founder of the “Lebanese Resistance Brigades”, the military wing of the Amal Movement, during the Lebanese civil.

Musa Sadr

 

 
Tweet
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Head of human rights group forms party

Head of human rights group forms party

Malta opposition leader returns home after short visit

Malta opposition leader returns home after short visit

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.